Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) DEUX YOU BLEED?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Maybe the Marvel movies are getting better reviews because...I don't know...they are fucking better lol. I did enjoy Man of Steel but it definitely had it's issues and outside of Nolan's films which were all critical successes, there has really been nothing at all to write home about for DC. Seeing as a lot of the crowd on this site will hate anything Marvel comes out with even if they did do a dark masterpiece in the future there are still people here that would still hate it without seeing it.

How about instead of defending the crap out of this movie maybe we realize this series would have been better off in somebody else's hands. Do you remember all the other people that were up for directing Man of Steel? Yet they still went with Snyder who has never really elevated the material.

PowerDump wrote:Maybe the Marvel movies are getting better reviews because...I don't know...they are fucking better lol. I did enjoy Man of Steel but it definitely had it's issues and outside of Nolan's films which were all critical successes, there has really been nothing at all to write home about for DC. Seeing as a lot of the crowd on this site will hate anything Marvel comes out with even if they did do a dark masterpiece in the future there are still people here that would still hate it without seeing it.

How about instead of defending the crap out of this movie maybe we realize this series would have been better off in somebody else's hands. Do you remember all the other people that were up for directing Man of Steel? Yet they still went with Snyder who has never really elevated the material.
Truth.

The Marvel movies mostly want to be nakedly vapid entertainments, which is unambitious but a winning formula. I enjoy all or most of the movies, I have said so many times and I will continue to say so. DC is trying to be faux-high art. The seriousness that this series takes itself as "real" artistic merit makes it a pretty incohesive, self-defeating thing. Even with entertainment value. Great art of any kind requires cohesion.

-Vader

It's actually literally all Nolan's fault, if you think about it.

Remember his rationalization for why he chose Snyder to do MoS? He basically just said they needed someone to do the job and do it quickly. I mean, The Snydes wasn't even that popular even among comic book fanboys, especially after divisive reception to Watchmen. Then of course WB, counting on Nolan's word, took one look at the profit from MoS and thought, "well shit, Zack's a keeper", and now they're stuck with him for what looks like a few more films. Nolan basically pumped-and-dumped WB with Snyder.

Congrats Nolanites, you and your God have done it again. :gonf:

Vader182 wrote:The Marvel movies mostly want to be nakedly vapid entertainments, which is unambitious but a winning formula. I enjoy all or most of the movies, I have said so many times and I will continue to say so. DC is trying to be faux-high art. The seriousness that this series takes itself as "real" artistic merit makes it a pretty incohesive, self-defeating thing. Even with entertainment value. Great art of any kind requires cohesion.

-Vader
Well put. I don't know why WB can't look at the work they're doing with DC in television, as a blueprint for this. They've proven that you can do dark stories, without having it be grim, with strong aesthetics. Hell, even the animated stuff from Bruce Timm is a good, if not better, illustration of this.

Cilogy wrote:It's actually literally all Nolan's fault, if you think about it.

Remember his rationalization for why he chose Snyder to do MoS? He basically just said they needed someone to do the job and do it quickly. I mean, The Snydes wasn't even that popular even among comic book fanboys, especially after divisive reception to Watchmen. Then of course WB, counting on Nolan's word, took one look at the profit from MoS and thought, "well shit, Zack's a keeper", and now they're stuck with him for what looks like a few more films. Nolan basically pumped-and-dumped WB with Snyder.

Congrats Nolanites, you and your God have done it again. :gonf:
Well, WB could have said 'no, thank you' to Snyder at the very least right after the critical evisceration of MoS.....but they didn't. Their choices, their responsibility.

m4st4 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:I almost feel bad because of how good I feel about this.
So I wake up... I'm slowly making my way up the shit creek, actually laughing my ass off, the irony is palpable... and then I get to this last part and realize that I finally have a good enough reason to just give up on you guys. Thanks. I sincirely regret every second I've spent here but life is all about choices so here's another one. :wave:
Funniest post I've ever seen.

Everyone knows you're gonna have another 40k posts here bro. Quit the drama queen bullshit.

PowerDump wrote:Maybe the Marvel movies are getting better reviews because...I don't know...they are fucking better lol. I did enjoy Man of Steel but it definitely had it's issues and outside of Nolan's films which were all critical successes, there has really been nothing at all to write home about for DC. Seeing as a lot of the crowd on this site will hate anything Marvel comes out with even if they did do a dark masterpiece in the future there are still people here that would still hate it without seeing it.

Iron man 3 and Thor 2 were underwhelming!!.But they got a pass from the critics.I watch l marvel movies but i hate the bias critics have with them!