His Dark Materials (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
4N Legend wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 1:32 am
Latest episode might be my favorite. Felt more tight and focused than the others. Watchmen on Sunday, this on Monday. Pretty good fantastical 1-2 by HBO
Yeah, the bear CGI was impressive. Lyra is starting to shine too.

Man what is it with the over-saturated exposition in this show. The beginning of E5 was so damn frustrating because of this narration. The rest of the episode was actually pretty damn good, barring the out of place ending.

James Cosmo is a fucking treasure, the man steals every damn scene in the show. Definitely teared up cause of him

I don't mind most of the expository dialogue, but that narration threw me off as well.

Yeah, the narration sucked, but everything else that didn't involve Will Parry was fine.

That was an interesting episode that would totally lose momentum when it flashed to the scenes of the kid living in modern day England with his mom. There is only three episodes left and I'm still not sure what that part of the story is about.

radewart wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 2:15 pm
That was an interesting episode that would totally lose momentum when it flashed to the scenes of the kid living in modern day England with his mom. There is only three episodes left and I'm still not sure what that part of the story is about.
Minor spoilers for books 2 & 3
Give it time, he will be very, very important in seasons 2 & 3. In fact, in the books he is only introduced in the very beginning of book 2. Maybe the writer(s) thought it would not translate well to bring him in that late in a TV show.
EDIT:
Gonna add that "modern day England" universe is not in book 1 at all.

Yeah...
The intercision scenes did not feel as traumatic as they should be. Lyra and Pan did not even share a significant one-on-one scene after being rescued by Mrs. Coulter. :?
EDIT:
Ruth Wilson continues to deliver, though.

There are so many high highs and low lows in this show with barely anything in the middle. It's so weirdly inconsistent, but I'm glad that Wilson always shines

I'm a bit late on this but I'm finished the first four episodes and it's really good for the most part but there's a major problem imo

The lack of background daemons. Severely destroys the credibility of the worldbuilding.
CGI concerns are obvious but there has to be a way to do something better.

I can't see how this seriously hurts the power of future plot points

Everything else is great

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 8:06 am
I'm a bit late on this but I'm finished the first four episodes and it's really good for the most part but there's a major problem imo

The lack of background daemons. Severely destroys the credibility of the worldbuilding.
CGI concerns are obvious but there has to be a way to do something better.

I can't see how this seriously hurts the power of future plot points

Everything else is great
I can live with lack of daemons and worldbuilding that's not overbearing. It used to be that worldbuilding was the icing on the cake and not the whole meal.