Big Little Lies (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Looking back at Reese Witherspoon's early career, does anyone else think she could do bonkers films like Freeway nowadays or would her image as a 'serious actress' get in the way?

I hope this is over soon so I can binge it lol

Nomis wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 8:38 am
I hope this is over soon so I can binge it lol
In a week, I think... I'm waiting too.

Also has anyone read this: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/big-l ... 202156884/
Apparently, Arnold was "Snydered" from Season 2(they edited her work differently from what she intended and added new scenes despite having promised her she would have full creative control) . Apparently Kelley organised it, with Vallée's help... Feels strange considering Kidman and Witherspoon are executive producers, and enjoyed working with Arnold...

Demoph wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 7:10 pm
Also has anyone read this: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/big-l ... 202156884/
Apparently, Arnold was "Snydered" from Season 2(they edited her work differently from what she intended and added new scenes despite having promised her she would have full creative control) . Apparently Kelley organised it, with Vallée's help... Feels strange considering Kidman and Witherspoon are executive producers, and enjoyed working with Arnold...
Well, this explains my initial reaction a lot. It was hard not to notice.
LelekPL wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 6:16 am
The first episode had some herky-jerky editing in it. The scenes felt like they were cut very suddenly and switched perspectives quite randomly. I didn't like that. Meryl Streep is a good addition to the cast, although that dinner screaming scene was a bit too "drama school" much, and that's about it when it comes to the strong points of the first episode.

I was really disappointed by it, especially due to how GREAT the first season was, but there's room for improvement, I guess.

Explains this season's weird editing and short scenes/runtimes.

Main problem of the season is still Kelley's scripts imo.

Arnold got fucked over, but I still think JMV is by far the best filmmaker between the two. Everyone on Twitter is calling him a corporate hack... he literally created and perfected his style on BLL and Sharp Objects, it's very unique. HBO & Kelley should have just waited six more months for him to shoot the season. The editing is definitely not as good since he does not have the footage he wants.

Blame HBO all you want but not JMV who never even really wanted to make this season. The discourse on this on twitter is unsurprisingly bad.

Finale was disappointing and predictable

Regardless of the directing drama, the scripts mostly sucked this season I thought.

The Streep/Kidman story was the best and it was really caricatural. Most of the other actresses had almost nothing to work with compared to the previous season

Season one was certainly a lot better.

The finale had some emotional moments that hit with me
Bonnie's mother saying sorry, Bonnie telling Nathan she's not in love with him, Celeste in the courtroom
I have to agree with Now Where Was I though. The writing was the weakest thing this season.

I liked this season but it's definitely inferior to season 1. Possibly because there was always this huge tension over the murder that surrounded the first season, which you couldn't replicate this time because it would make the show far too campy.

Still, it's damn good television. The MVP of this season was easily Laura Dern - she was hilarious and great. I also loved the conflict that Mary Louise brought to the show, she was always a menacing figure. Until the last episode I couldn't figure out where the storyline with Bonnie was going and felt it was derailing the show, but it ended up being the second most heart-warming part of the ending. The best part was the resolution to Ed and Madeline's storyline.
I just hope that the third season won't tell us that Ed actually cheated on Madeline with the theatre director's wife
It's good that we got some positive male characters this season. Last one, the toxicity between Ed and Nathan was also interesting to watch but it's good that they had some more positive moments this season. Especially Nathan who I felt really sorry for by the end.

And I'm pretty sure that they couldn't get the actor who played the coffee owner in season 1 and just replaced him in the script with the new guy Jane is seeing. They're like almost the same character.

It was overall a very entertaining season. There were no real moments where the story stalled or anything. However, I do think the first season had the stronger narrative. There were still quite some things I really liked this season. Kidman's storyline was once again the best and I love that Bonnie got a much more prominent role. Kravitz delivered and she's so incredibly beautiful. Her arc overall was bound to be very interesting from the start of this season but when they added her mother it got even better. I thought it was pretty great stuff.

Streep is always a joy to watch and I was positively surprised by Scott's performance. He made Madeline's arc better. The one who got the lowest end was Woodley imo. I just couldn't care for the guy she was dating at all.

As for a possible next season:
I guess they won't make it? The story seems pretty much done given that last scene.