Alita: Battle Angel (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Robert Rodriguez to Direct ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ for Fox, Producer James Cameron
The live-action film is based on the Japanese manga and graphic novel series by Yukito Kishiro.

Twentieth Century Fox today announced that James Cameron and Jon Landau would produce ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL, with Robert Rodriguez in negotiations to direct the live action adaptation of the famed Japanese manga and graphic novel series Battle Angel Alita by Yukito Kishiro.

Set in the 26th century, ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL tells the story of Alita, an amnesiac female cyborg who is rescued from a scrapyard by a doctor. The rebuilt Alita, remembering only her training in a deadly martial art, becomes a hunter-warrior, tracking down and eliminating vicious criminals. It's an epic action-adventure, that will explore a young woman’s journey of self-discovery and finding love.

Cameron: “Robert and I have been looking for a film to do together for years, so I was pumped when he said he wanted to do Battle Angel. He’s very collaborative and we’re already like two kids building a go-kart, just having fun creatively and technically. This project is near and dear to me, and there’s nobody I trust more than Robert, with his technical virtuosity and rebel style, to take over the directing. We’re looking forward to learning a lot from each other while we make a kick-ass epic.”

Rodriguez: “Battle Angel is an incredibly rich and vibrant epic in the tradition of Jim Cameron’s spectacular, character-driven films. Getting to work from Jim’s terrific and visionary script while learning the cutting edge techniques he’s pioneered is a master class in filmmaking. It’s an honor to explore the world of Alita along with Jim and Jon, whose films have impacted me for decades.”

Robert Rodriguez has directed such successful and groundbreaking films as the Mexico Trilogy (El Mariachi, Desperado, Once Upon a Time in Mexico), From Dusk till Dawn, Sin City and Spy Kids films.

Cameron and Landau, who will produce for Fox under their Lightstorm Entertainment banner, are also currently in pre-production on three sequels to their history-making Avatar.

Interesting combination

I mean I've waited for years and it's finally happening but damn...

This should go to, y'know, a competent director.

People always judge directors by their recent films. I'm definitely not a fan of Rodriguez, I dislike a number of his films and overall his style is really not my thing, but this is the guy who made the fucking Sin City and has some couple of other films that qualify as somewhat impressive, namely Planet Terror, From Dusk and Desperado. I'm always ready to give him the benefit of the doubt.£

Off-topic I guess, but I don't want to bump Avatar thread.

What the fuck is happening with the Avatar sequels??? In April 2014, Cameron said it was just waiting on finishing the scripts and that it would take less than six weeks...

Here we are in October 2015 without any news and with Zoe Saldana, the co-lead shooting Live by Night this fall and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 at the beginning of next year (Worthington's probably waiting 24/7 the phone call lol).

Well WETA did said they were laying the groundwork for the VFX.. I guess they have extra luxury to take all the time they need with the Avatar sequels, which is probably a lot.

sounds a perfect fit for Tarantino

Now Where Was I ? wrote:Off-topic I guess, but I don't want to bump Avatar thread.

What the fuck is happening with the Avatar sequels??? In April 2014, Cameron said it was just waiting on finishing the scripts and that it would take less than six weeks...

Here we are in October 2015 without any news and with Zoe Saldana, the co-lead shooting Live by Night this fall and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 at the beginning of next year (Worthington's probably waiting 24/7 the phone call lol).
Relax, they're probably shooting mid-2016 anyway, it's happening - all three.

Zendaya Among Finalists for James Cameron's 'Battle Angel' Movie
James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez are zeroing in on their female actor to star in Alita: Battle Angel, Fox’s ambitious adaptation of the popular manga graphic novels.

Rodriguez is on board to direct what is envisioned as a big-budget tentpole, while Cameron and his Lightstorm Entertainment partner Jon Landau are producing.

The movie has not been greenlit as budgetary issues are still being worked out while the studio seeks to bring it down from the $175-$200 million range.

The following trio tested for the film, The Hollywood Reporter has learned: Maika Monroe, who starred in It Follows and will appear in this summer's Independence Day: Resurgence; Rosa Salazar, who appeared in Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials and recently wrapped shooting Warner Bros.’s big-screen take of CHiPs; and Zendaya, the Disney Channel star of K.C. Undercover who is one of the female leads of Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Sources say that Cameron and Rodriguez want to create a star-making vehicle akin to Cameron’s Dark Angel, the TV series that ran from 2000 to 2002 and became a platform for Jessica Alba. Sources also say that Zendaya could be the frontrunner for the role.

Alita: Battle Angel tells of a female cyborg that is discovered in a trash yard by a scientist. With no memory of her previous life except her deadly martial arts training, the woman becomes a bounty hunter, tracking down criminals.

The action-adventure story is meant to serve as a backdrop to themes of self-discovery and the search for love.

A decision on the actresses is expected in the coming weeks.