Alita: Battle Angel (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I didn’t hate it. It’s entertaining and fun. I spent some time trying to figure out what the main plot of this was, like what’s the purpose. But no, for the most part it’s just sequel bait. They really should’ve tried to develop this as a standalone, and if the sequel was possible, work from there. Rosa Salazar as Alita is such a sweetheart though, impossible to dislike. She and her relationship with Ido were the highlights of the film for me, along with great overall visuals. The whole cast is fine, but they’re totally wasted. I didn’t find Hugo to be as awful as others did performance-wise. The actor’s cute and the character himself is somewhat sympathetic, but aside some clunky line deliveries, never really has anything of importance to do, so idk. Really felt for that lil small pupper, too. Gosh, my heart lol.

Some... really interesting choices in this film. Some cringey, some just super odd and bold, I guess. But I thought it was okay.

Spoiler alert for the first volume of manga, which was afterwards restarted in effort to create a Dragon Ball Z-like spinoff/reboot/sequel called New Order.
Alita dies in the end, there’s no love story and she sacrifices her heart in effort to save the scrapyard by powering up the entire network grid with her energy. In New Order Kishiro lets her live and actually go ‘upstairs’ where she truly becomes the savior of humanity. It’s a monumental storyline that still goes on... shame they condensed it so much.

holy god this was a mess and im surprised it even has a high 50s low 60s score

i enjoyed it though lol

there's probably 15-20 solid minutes missing from final cut for pacing

-Vader

Well... the numbers are in and... it won’t be a flop. At best we’re looking at 400 mil. ww with 80-100 dom. They needed a better script and more faith in what they had on table within first couple of volumes. No need to tease the future so much when you don’t have a firm (and subtle) grasp of what’s in your hand. At least I won’t look back at how this character was realized and feel utter shame like with some other pop culture favorites over the past couple of years.

It won't be a success either. 400 seems very unlikely unless it has some legs. It's opening weekend is lower than BR2049 and that only grossed 250. 400 would also make it barely profitable so it's not like the studio will be going out of its way for a sequel even if it makes that.

LelekPL wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 4:26 am
It won't be a success either. 400 seems very unlikely unless it has some legs. It's opening weekend is lower than BR2049 and that only grossed 250. 400 would also make it barely profitable so it's not like the studio will be going out of its way for a sequel even if it makes that.
Actually, wanted to say ‘total’ flop. There won’t be a sequel.

400M would be okish for a movie this expensive, only if it makes around 150 mil domestically. And then the reception would be so good that the home market run brings about a good deal of profit, Fury Road for instance or Begins or First Avenger.

Which is why Geneshythe or Warcraft's performances are considered rather poor.£

So this was fun. Rosa Salazar is so charismatic, she won me over in the first ten minutes.
The 3D was quite good, didn't distract me at all during the fights, James Cameron know what he's doing, guys. I thought the script was going to be a mess and all over the place, but felt it wasn't that bad. It's a origin story in a cyberpunk world. We don't get many of those this days. It's not perfect, but is far from being Suicide Squad bad. I agree it has too many endings, when you think is going to end, there's another sequence happening.
The fights were nice and good coreographed, with the underworld fight and the Motorball sequence being the standout for me, exploring what Alita can do with her body.

On the sidenote, Jennifer Connelly is still the most gourgeous woman in Hollywood and Mahershala Ali the coolest.

Master Virgo wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 8:14 am
400M would be okish for a movie this expensive, only if it makes around 150 mil domestically. And then the reception would be so good that the home market run brings about a good deal of profit, Fury Road for instance or Begins or First Avenger.

Fox said 375m is their break-even, some think that's too conservative.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 7:44 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 8:14 am

Fox said 375m is their break-even, some think that's too conservative.

-Vader

True. According to variety, sources from outside the company, believe that the film needs to reach the 500M landmark.£