Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
December 26th, 2018, 12:17 am
antovolk wrote:
December 25th, 2018, 10:56 am
it's cute and fun and the cast is great but it suffers from really trying to have it both ways as a remake and a sequel. Just ends up making it feel stale. If you're considering watching this, probably don't see the original the day beforehand :P

But fuuuuuck Dolby Cinema is amazing and I'd go back in an instant...if tickets for good seats weren't $40-50 :sick:
Do ticket prices vary by how good the seats are in the UK?

if so that's fucked

-Vader
At that theatre (Odeon Leicester Square, just had an 11-month refurb, highest capacity cinema in the UK, basically our equivalent of the TCL Chinese) yes. They were under a lot of criticism when that pricing was announced... $40-50 is for the entire stalls section (which has recliners), circle is from $15-40 with the cheapest at the very very back.

(Although I'm sure it's the same Stateside, a couple slightly more expensive 'premium' rows in regular cinemas .are a semi regular thing)

It's not the same stateside actually lol. Every seat in every theater I've ever been to is priced the same.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 26th, 2018, 4:45 am
It's not the same stateside actually lol. Every seat in every theater I've ever been to is priced the same.

-Vader
Yep.

Kinda surprised it's not a thing stateside but alright.

I guess it's not surprising that the major chain doing that 'premium row' thing here (which is usually £1.50 more expensive) has taken it one step further with literal live theatre-like pricing, they're even defending the it saying that 'it's similar value to live theatre, concerts or sports' which is like whut

What the eff $50 for a movie ticket is insane. Who the hell needs a recliner lol? Or a space to eat dinner (like some places offer)? Comfy seats are welcome tbh, because that means people with disabilities or other medical issues can have a more comfortable experience, but something tells me people charging $50 for it may not have had the same priorities and ideas in mind

I just checked we also have a theater with premium seats, they’re not more than $30 though.

Caught a bit of the original on tv and it looked like nonsense lol. I shall watch this for the music I guess.

the_red_ninja wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 4:54 am
Caught a bit of the original on tv and it looked like nonsense lol. I shall watch this for the music I guess.
And people thought I was bad about setting expectations before seeing a film... Imagine the backlash that would happen if i wrote off a classic film because of an out of context clip on TV.

This is what happens when you replicate a veneer without the understanding.

The songs lack the intrigue and dynamics of the original.
Blunt is buried under the film - feel sorry for her given the first is such an amazing vehicle for Andrews.
The introduction of a more typical plot with a villain doesn't work and brings back memories of Burton's Alice.
Marshall yet again approaches everything like a stage play, lacking the steadiness of Robert Stevenson's straight bat, sturdy approach. How do you lovingly recreate that house and then fail to show it off?

The original is unassailable -- this just doesn't work however. Highlights are Whishaw and the wonderful animated sequence which is the real, genuine 60s throwback.