Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 8:39 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 12:58 pm
Bacon wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Fix this. Mary Poppins is the best Disney film
...and yet also a terrible adaptation of the source material from what I've been told.
like Game of Thrones?
That's actually a good adaptation of whatever existing source material there is. If GRRM were to say 'this show is terrible and misrepresents my work' I would say it's a terrible adaptation but he has generally been happy for the show's critical success. P.L. Travers, the author of Mary Poppins, however, was so disgusted by what Disney did with her work that, as far as I understand it, she cried throughout the premiere. She considered the Disney version a betrayal of the character and essentially said that the film was 'all fantasy and no magic'. So, yeah, there is a big difference here. She had a very clear idea of what Mary Poppins could and should be and she did not consider Disney's adaptation a good representation of that idea. So yeah, I'd say Disney's version of Mary Poppins is a terrible adaptation of her work. Does not mean it's not an excellent film in its own right. Noone remembers the book but everyone knows the movie.

This of course is why the later telemovie of The Shining is better than Kubrick's film

🕷

Watched the first movie for the first time with my girlfriend who is a die hard Disney fan. I didn't love it, but I still dug it when it wasn't being complete nonsense. She however did not like it as much as I did. We're both curious to check this new one out, but we're not excited like everybody else is.

BlairCo wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 7:30 pm
Watched the first movie for the first time with my girlfriend who is a die hard Disney fan. I didn't love it, but I still dug it when it wasn't being complete nonsense. She however did not like it as much as I did. We're both curious to check this new one out, but we're not excited like everybody else is.
Wait, everybody else is excited for this? How come? I don’t even know the target audience for this sequel, but will probably see it for Blunt and Miranda.🕷️

BlairCo wrote:

Imagine not loving Disney's best film. The music, the characters, the lyrics, the dancing, the music, the set pieces, the effects, the music, the story, etc. It's all perfection.

@m4: Yeah I haven't met anyone genuinely excited for this. Everyone forgets this exists or thinks it looks like a cash-in based off the original. I have faith in Blunt and Miranda but very little else.

Bacon wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 11:09 pm
BlairCo wrote:

Imagine not loving Disney's best film. The music, the characters, the lyrics, the dancing, the music, the set pieces, the effects, the music, the story, etc. It's all perfection.

@m4: Yeah I haven't met anyone genuinely excited for this. Everyone forgets this exists or thinks it looks like a cash-in based off the original. I have faith in Blunt and Miranda but very little else.
Director (almost) kills it for me. 🕷️

It'd be different if the film looked like it was adding anything substantial sequel-wise. But it's dancing penguins, cartoon carriages, chimney sweeps, etc. The underwater sequences look neat, but I really don't think this will have any real depth to it like the original had in spades or any unique qualities that will set it apart from its predecessor.

The original is perfect, so of course I'm going to give this a hard time, but even so I still expected better (going off the trailer).

Bacon wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 1:51 am
The original is perfect, so of course I'm going to give this a hard time, but even so I still expected better (going off the trailer).
The original is perfect for what it is. It's not a perfect adaptation for instance but we've discussed this already. Essentially, a corporation won over the creator of the source material and we happen to have gotten a good film as a result of that. However, knowing all that makes me less fond of the final product that is the film Mary Poppins.

It being different than the thing it is adapting does not inherently make it a lesser project. Did you not read the pages from when you brought this up before?