The Witch (2016) - GOAT experience

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
AsianVersionOfET wrote:
o SHAKESPEARE o wrote:Not usually into horror films, but this looks in-line with the few that I do like. For those who have seen it, are there any jump scares? Or is it purely atmospheric horror? I can't stand the former.
Pure atmosphere brotha
Fantastic. Will be seeing this soon then.

Saw this last night and I really enjoyed it. It's deeply unsettling throughout the entire film and gives you that slow burn horror that lingers with you long past the credits. What makes the film stand out to me compared to other successful horror films of the decade is the excellence of the craft the filmmaker has put into it, along with the great performances. You'll genuinely feel like you are watching people from the days of Puritan America which is a time in the country's history that is innately creepy to me haha.

However, I will say that despite this being such a high quality film from start to finish, I was somewhat left wanting more on the horror side of things. I felt like the film going out of it's way to avoid the stereotypical horror tropes worked against it in some regards. The film keeps this restrained grip on the material that lends itself to creating a constant unsettling feeling but never really leaping into outright horror. I was left wanting the film to finally take that dive and it never really did for me. I appreciate the director's fresh approach but some of the more cliched tropes (maybe some more body horror or one of the narrative tropes you might expect in this film
the father finally giving up on his faith and losing his mind for instance
) would have pushed it over the top for me.

Overall, this is still the best horror film to have come up in a decade or more.

A-

I'm marking this down as a 2016 film.

I have declared it.

Cilogy wrote:I'm marking this down as a 2016 film.

I have declared it.
But...it is a 2016 film..

shauner111 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:I'm marking this down as a 2016 film.

I have declared it.
But...it is a 2016 film..
Well yeah by my royal decree.

Just saw the trailer.
NOPE
NOPE NOPE NOPE with a side of HELL NO fries

SilverHeart wrote:Just saw the trailer.
NOPE
NOPE NOPE NOPE with a side of HELL NO fries
If it helps, Ralph Ineson was in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also, Kate Dickie starred in Prometheus with Idris Elba, who was of course in the Thor films.

Ha ha.

Seriously though that shit freaked me the fuck out. Like "well there goes my sleep tonight" level scary.

The last moments were deep down fucking terrifying. I loved every second. Even with some pieces of shit audience members.