The Witch (2016) - GOAT experience

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:It's kind of given that general audiences will talk more about the movies they love irrespective of whether critics liked it or not. It's the same way critics haven't forgotten about The Babadook or Drag Me To Hell and they will always rank them high among the best horror movies of this century. The good thing about this is that neither critics nor audiences has a monopoly on what will be considered a classic in the future.

Still, it's very intriguing how horror movies cause this massive divide between critics and audiences.
Honestly I find myself very disappointed every time I buy into critics hype about a new horror film that is supposed to revolutionise the genre, so I'm gonna remain cautious for the time being.

Interestingly enough Berardinelli was the one who pointed at the right direction (according to my taste that is) in the cases I mentioned. He gave positive reviews to Saw, Insidious and The Conjuring (Even put the latter in his honorable mentions at the end of the year) and a mixed one to Drag Me to Hell. He didn't even review The Babadook. I guess he and I just share a similar taste when it comes to this particular genre.£

MyCocaine wrote:What are the consensus on The Conjuring on this board? I myself found it to be a rather generic and overpraised horror film.
I like it a lot but it didn't quite make my top 10 of that year (2013). I still don't like the intro, incredibly cheesy. The movie has some dumb shit in it, especially towards the end with the mothers possession. That part of it wasn't scary at all. But i still enjoyed the film quite a bit. The clapping was creepy, the presence in the daughters room, the fact that the whole family experiences the paranormal activities early on and ALL decide to do something about it. All of that was executed well.

Overpraised? Yes. Enjoyable? Yes.

The film fan in me prefers The Babadook though.

Everyone in my theater hated this. Credits started and all I heard was...I want my money back...so terrible. Honestly One of the better horror films I have seen. What a debut.

Pretty good. Definitely the best of the lot regarding horror that's come out of the festival circuit these past few years, which includes: It Follows (Didn't care for this one all that much), The Babadook, Goodnight Mommy and now this. I thought it ended rather abruptly, but otherwise I dug it. Very slow-burn and very art-house. There's a lot of malaise through the whole film but the most unnerving scene is actually in the is in the first 10 minutes. If you like films like Kill List and Anti-Christ check it out, but those who like stuff like The Conjuring and Insidious, Sinister and Paranormal Activity might not be prepared for how unconventional it is. Saw a few couples walkout in some rather intense scenes. That made me happy.. The film is downright menacing and evil haha.

People love to toss around statements like "Best horror film in years" way to free willingly. I'm not going to speak about it in Hyperbole just yet. That said, I love how committed the film is to puritan mindset. Not only is it a movie about religious paranoia, but if you listen to the director talk in interviews he genuinely believes in the stuff in the film. The dude straight up believes in Witches. All these things are real to him. It's not some atheists having fun playing around with folklore.

Well in your opinion, what's the last GREAT horror film?

shauner111 wrote:Well in your opinion, what's the last GREAT horror film?
Hard to pick just one, but

Black Swan
Anti-Christ
Kill List
Inland Empire
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2
Martyrs
Under The Skin
The Cabin In the Woods (more horror-comedy)
Goodnight Mommy (maybe. Have to rewatch)
The Witch (probably)

Going further back:
Wolf Creek
Kario (pulse)
Lake Mungo

I wonder what was the budget for this... and more importantly when will my local distributor pick it up. @Echovoid, glad to see some more love for H2 ;)

Echovoid_52 wrote:

Black Swan
Anti-Christ
Kill List
Inland Empire
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2
Martyrs
Under The Skin
The Witch (probably)

Going further back:
Wolf Creek
Kario (pulse)
Lake Mungo
I wouldn't call all of those horror movies. Halloween 2 was awful imo. Not scary at all, just gross with the type of violence.

Shauner your concept of a perfect horror seems to be similar to some of reactions we're hearing about on this board, and you've done it before in It Follows thread. The point of horror is not how 'scary' it is or isn't, no matter what Friday the 13th crowd (and it's spawns) want to tell you for almost four decades now.

shauner111 wrote:
Echovoid_52 wrote:

Black Swan
Anti-Christ
Kill List
Inland Empire
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2
Martyrs
Under The Skin
The Witch (probably)

Going further back:
Wolf Creek
Kario (pulse)
Lake Mungo
I wouldn't call all of those horror movies. Halloween 2 was awful imo. Not scary at all, just gross with the type of violence.

I'd call each and every one of them a horror movie, although I'm learning that the public has a very narrow view of what "defines" a horror film these days. For example, I'd call a lot of Lynch's films horror films because they scare me and are genuinely horrifying. Black Swan has been deemed a " physiological drama" by some but if you look at the film as a whole it's clearly influenced by midnight cult horror flicks such as Argento's Suspria, except it won Oscars, so it's too "high-art" to some people to be given the horror title…I guess… even though it clearly is.

Also, just because you don't find a film "scary" doesn't mean it isn't horror. I wasn't scared by "The Witch" but that's because I'm pretty desensitized. Last movie that I really struggled to watch was Inland Empire. RZH2 might not be scary, but it's one of the best, if only horror films to accurately portray survivors trauma and PTSD in the aftermath of a murderous tragedy. I'm a huge fan of the series who thinks Zombie's 2007 film is a bit of a mess, but the 2009 sequel is the only film in the franchise that holds an artistic candle to Carpenter's 1978 original. The directors cut is a near-masterpiece and I'm just waiting for everyone to get onboard with it as this point. Time will tell on how great and overlooked a film it is. It's Zombie's "Fire Walk With Me", which was also "boo'd at Cannes" initially.