The Witch (2016) - GOAT experience

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I shit you not, almost immediately after the credits hit a woman in the row in front of us turned to her friend and said "That was the stupidest movie I've ever seen."

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:I shit you not, almost immediately after the credits hit a woman in the row in front of us turned to her friend and said "That was the stupidest movie I've ever seen."

-Vader
Classic. :D Reminds me of my experience after Batman Begins premiere: 'That was the stupidest Batman I've ever seen'. What would she say about Wicker Man?

When I watched 12 Years a Slave, a lady in front of me was constantly growling to her husband because 'it wasn't as good as Django'. We just have to accept that most of general audiences go to the movies expecting some specific things. That's the way it is.

All I'm saying is that critics have had a very poor track record in determining whether or not a horror will turn into a modern classic in the recent years. The first Saw film was received very poorly and now it's a cult movie and largely considered as one of the best modern horror films. Drag Me to Hell was massively praised and now barely anyone remember it.

The Babadook was released a year after The Conjuring and was met with considerably more favourable reactions from critics. Now which one do you see people talk about more?

But as Vader said this one is getting the approval of film fans as well, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.£

Panapaok wrote:When I watched 12 Years a Slave, a lady in front of me was constantly growling to her husband because 'it wasn't as good as Django'. We just have to accept that most of general audiences go to the movies expecting some specific things. That's the way it is.
She's right.

Master Virgo wrote:All I'm saying is that critics have had a very poor track record in determining whether or not a horror will turn into a modern classic in the recent years. The first Saw film was received very poorly and now it's a cult movie and largely considered as one of the best modern horror films. Drag Me to Hell was massively praised and now barely anyone remember it.

The Babadook was released a year after The Conjuring and was met with considerably more favourable reactions from critics. Now which one do you see people talk about more?

But as Vader said this one is getting the approval of film fans as well, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.£
It's kind of given that general audiences will talk more about the movies they love irrespective of whether critics liked it or not. It's the same way critics haven't forgotten about The Babadook or Drag Me To Hell and they will always rank them high among the best horror movies of this century. The good thing about this is that neither critics nor audiences has a monopoly on what will be considered a classic in the future.

Still, it's very intriguing how horror movies cause this massive divide between critics and audiences.

But also kind of obvious? In general, audiences think horror = shock effect + popcorns, critics are usually more cerebral, they'd rather go back to the roots. When something is in the middle (like so many horrors ever since Texas Chainsaw remake), there's a debate - but is it a classic? Only time can tell.

What are the consensus on The Conjuring on this board? I myself found it to be a rather generic and overpraised horror film.

MyCocaine wrote:What are the consensus on The Conjuring on this board? I myself found it to be a rather generic and overpraised horror film.
idk about the rest of the board but it's my favorite horror movie in recent memory

Michaelf2225 wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:What are the consensus on The Conjuring on this board? I myself found it to be a rather generic and overpraised horror film.
idk about the rest of the board but it's my favorite horror movie in recent memory
It's also my favorite modern horror film.