The Witch (2016) - GOAT experience

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
If all it took was verisimilitude and atmosphere to define a movie, The Witch would earn a near-perfect rating. Unfortunately, despite a creepily effective setting and authentic setup, the movie suffers as a result of a frustratingly uneven screenplay. Not only is the narrative full of half-realized potential but the ending falls somewhere between contrived and campy; it almost feels as if a member or two of the Monty Python gang came over to help out with the final scene.
The last scene is so over-the-top as to be almost laughable and its inclusion is difficult to defend. There are things to like about The Witch but not enough of them to make it worth the price of an admission ticket.

- James Berardinelli (2.5/4)

£

Well, he's getting old.

He's becoming more and more controversial as it goes, that's for sure. Although his views have never been that safe to begin with. Nonetheless I still find him to be the most credible critic in the business.£

Master Virgo wrote:
If all it took was verisimilitude and atmosphere to define a movie, The Witch would earn a near-perfect rating. Unfortunately, despite a creepily effective setting and authentic setup, the movie suffers as a result of a frustratingly uneven screenplay. Not only is the narrative full of half-realized potential but the ending falls somewhere between contrived and campy; it almost feels as if a member or two of the Monty Python gang came over to help out with the final scene.
The last scene is so over-the-top as to be almost laughable and its inclusion is difficult to defend. There are things to like about The Witch but not enough of them to make it worth the price of an admission ticket.

- James Berardinelli (2.5/4)

£
Well fuck him

There always has to be a contrarian somewhere...I'll just show myself out :lol: .

Well I mean yeah critics went nuts for this film and all, but elsewhere the reactions have been far less enthusiastic. C- for cinemascore and 53% for Flixster user score. Looks like another The Babadook, Cabin in the Woods situation to me.£

Master Virgo wrote:Well I mean yeah critics went nuts for this film and all, but elsewhere the reactions have been far less enthusiastic. C- for cinemascore and 53% for Flixster user score. Looks like another The Babadook, Cabin in the Woods situation to me.£
Film fans seem to love it, though. At least, everybody I know in person and online who saw it adored the movie.

-Vader

Good indie horror films never get good audience ratings.

Usual horror audience suspects think it's boring? Good.

It's because general audiences that go to an actual well made atmospheric horror film think it's boring because they aren't getting jump scares thrown at them throughout the film. They don't know how to appreciate tension and smart horror that makes you think. I haven't really seen an actual film fan not like this film.