The Witch (2016) - GOAT experience

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Just got tickets for this on Friday night. I've never seen a horror movie at the cinema before (would Crimson Peak still count?), and I'm not the biggest horror guy, so I'm expecting to be scared shitless by this. Haven't seen any of the trailers, so I'm going into this completely cold.

BlairCo wrote:Just got tickets for this on Friday night. I've never seen a horror movie at the cinema before (would Crimson Peak still count?), and I'm not the biggest horror guy, so I'm expecting to be scared shitless by this. Haven't seen any of the trailers, so I'm going into this completely cold.
You don't have to be... the need for adrenaline will creep on you, eventually. ;) Seriously, if this ends up being a memorable experience for you, there's no going back, you'll have to track down the classics next.

Just got back...

I haven't felt this unnerved by a film since the first time I saw The Shining, and the two work really well back-to-back. I absolutely love the build-up this film has; very simple, then tensions rise, we're introduced to supernatural, things go bezerk, all leading up to a finale that sent chills right to the very core. The audience seemed to dig it a lot, even though there was laughter in the scenes with the children (though I will admit, there is maybe one or two bits of humour) and the goat, but there's one scene where the goat was no laughing matter at all...

Like I said in my other post, I'm not the biggest Horror guy, but I wish Horror films where more like this; completely focused on tone and making me feel uncomfortable in my seat.

Check this dope sheet out everyone!

I was underwhelmed. But now im thinking about it, and it's clicking with me more.

The slow pace was great. Tension was there. No complaints with the cast. But i didn't see the point when i left the theater. I expected more (no, not dumb jump scares).
What happens to the family, was like..."that's all? the fuck?". Some scenes were disturbing. Some were just really stupid like Caleb's death, the crow on the mothers tit, the ending that wasn't that scary, but rather awesome to the point where it makes you think the director is promoting the temptation of satanic witchcraft. That family were a bunch of religious nuts so you never felt anything for anyone other than the daughter. But then she walks into the forest nude, sees a bunch of naked chicks doing a ritual, then she starts flying. Sooo they get to do everything and be free? So is this not promoting evil, black magic etc? It makes that shit seem so free and the rest so dull, and that's quite scary. The realization that i have atm, that the devil (black goat) was with that family for that long, makes me like the end more. It's definitely unsettling. But i still have my nitpicks. Certain scenes were a little over the top. The english was really hard to understand most of the time. And why does the daughter join the club so to speak? Why does she give in?
So overall, i give it an average rating. I want to see it again, but it's gonna be a while, probably.

shauner111 wrote:I was underwhelmed. But now im thinking about it, and it's clicking with me more.

The slow pace was great. Tension was there. No complaints with the cast. But i didn't see the point when i left the theater. I expected more (no, not dumb jump scares).
What happens to the family, was like..."that's all? the fuck?". Some scenes were disturbing. Some were just really stupid like Caleb's death, the crow on the mothers tit, the ending that wasn't that scary, but rather awesome to the point where it makes you think the director is promoting the temptation of satanic witchcraft. That family were a bunch of religious nuts so you never felt anything for anyone other than the daughter. But then she walks into the forest nude, sees a bunch of naked chicks doing a ritual, then she starts flying. Sooo they get to do everything and be free? So is this not promoting evil, black magic etc? It makes that shit seem so free and the rest so dull, and that's quite scary. The realization that i have atm, that the devil (black goat) was with that family for that long, makes me like the end more. It's definitely unsettling. But i still have my nitpicks. Certain scenes were a little over the top. The english was really hard to understand most of the time. And why does the daughter join the club so to speak? Why does she give in?
So overall, i give it an average rating. I want to see it again, but it's gonna be a while, probably.
My thoughts as well. Loved the premise, the atmosphere and the acting. Some scenes were terrific and I was certainly invested but at the end I was left puzzled.

On a personal level, I enjoyed The House of the Devil much more. Different films, of course, but similar in the atmosphere, the build-up and the absence of jump scares.

The more this sits with me, the more it's a masterpiece.

Even as I watched it for the first time I realized just how well it works on so many different levels; the hypocrisy of the puritanism, Sleepy Hollow-like atmosphere, authentic arhaic language. Thomasin's coming of age story molded with Grimm folktales cross pathways in such a convincing way that I couldn't help but clap when it all came together in that haunting but ultimately liberating sequence. It's a five star for me.

m4st4 wrote:Even as I watched it for the first time I realized just how well it works on so many different levels; the hypocrisy of the puritanism, Sleepy Hollow-like atmosphere, authentic arhaic language. Thomasin's coming of age story molded with Grimm folktales cross pathways in such a convincing way that I couldn't help but clap when it all came together in that haunting but ultimately liberating sequence. It's a five star for me.
:clap:

What a brilliant film.

I may be easy on the anticipation front (although lately we had such a shitty streak of movies) but I only give maybe one or two five stars throughout the year and second one in 2016 is Civil War. I may like BvS:UC more (Virgo's scale of objective vs. subjective) and would give it four, four and a half max, but yeah these two so far were top directing efforts for me. Hopefully Silence joins them later this year.

More on The Witch - do you think Anya Taylor will blow up after this? I've seen she'll be in latest Shyamalamadingdong with McAvoy already.