Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 7:31 am
I think one of the best scenes of the film is the
alternate future sequence where we see Hunt and co. killing police officers. With a close-up of Hunt at the end of the sequence and in the next scene going: yeah, fuck that shit.
Same goes for the scene with the female police officer.
yeeeeeesss

i almost got disappointed for a moment when it turned out to not be true

Nomis wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 7:31 am
I think one of the best scenes of the film is the
alternate future sequence where we see Hunt and co. killing police officers. With a close-up of Hunt at the end of the sequence and in the next scene going: yeah, fuck that shit.
Same goes for the scene with the female police officer.
And what followed that was a homage to The Dark Knight. Which was a tad too on the nose for my liking but its clearly done out of a loving respect for Nolans Batman work, rather than the opposite.
I dont think I have a particular favourite moment from MI:Fallout.There was a occasion where I felt it was turning into abit of a farce at one point in the final 3rd with the lead-up regarding the death of a important figure.I think the whole act was abit silly even for MI standards.
But its a enjoyable film nonetheless.
Also props to the cinematography. This is comfortably one of the best looking films out at present.

I’m glad we’re already at the ‘Fallout is an action masterpiece’ point. It truly is.🕷️

anarchy wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 2:01 am
Bacon wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 12:04 am
Artemis wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 10:12 pm
Exactly this. And if Black Panther possibly gets love at the Oscars, then shouldn't that be a good thing for those of us who enjoy well made big budget films? It means that studios will start to take these films more seriously and put a lot more love, care, and craft into them so that they can get audience approval and award love.
One could argue it doesn't mean this though, especially considering the controversy behind whatever move award shows make. Extreme pressure to nominate won't encourage them to do it later when they don't have pressure. That's the difference between a film like BP and this.

Not trying to start a debate, just playing devil's advocate to why they might be compared.
I think what you're saying has the implication that, after this black superhero movie gets nominated, a white superhero movie still won't get nominated (because the white movie doesn't have 'extreme pressure'). But Black Panther deserves the nomination precisely because it's a black movie, because it has a predominantly black cast and crew – not to fill some quota, but to tell a story unique to the black diaspora, something Hollywood's never seen before. It's no coincidence that the black movie is inventive, while the white ones are mostly generic and uninteresting. And to bring it back to M:I – Fallout, it's not like the Academy won't nominate a good white action movie. See: Mad Max: Fury Road.

Not to say that genre bias doesn't exist, though. The real injustice is why something like Darkest Hour gets nominated when M:I – Fallout is so vastly superior, why an action movie needs to be so goddamn great to get a nomination while a period drama merely needs to be decent. I'm just saying there's a reason why BP is getting nominated, there's a reason why Fallout isn't, and their reasons aren't really comparable.
You actually made me view all this in a whole new light with that last comment. Why do standard bio pics get a pass while for big action movies like BP and MI have to be the best possible to barely even be considered? I guess maybe those smaller ones get bigger campaigns because they think their movie wasnt seen? But then these campaigns during voting time must make the award voters forget what came out earlier because these november-december releases are being shoved in their throats which causes all their attention towards those movies.

That's exactly it. Why is a good (but not amazing) superhero movie landing a nom upsetting certain people when meh dramas get nominated every single year and they say nothing?

Clearly it isn't a question of quality or how "deserving" they are, since if so these same people would be be as vitriolic every single year but they're not. Last year 2049 should've been nominated instead of Darkest Hour, or The Handmaiden the year should've gotten in the year before. Both are commonly thought of as masterpieces. Where was the obsessive, angry outcry then?

It just points to "something else" going on, and that's what's weird.

-Vader

I agree with your overall point, but I did see a lot of outcry for 2049 and I was even involved in a discussion in one of the Facebook groups I post in about why 2049 wasn't nominated but Get Out was. It was also a sentiment that was shared a lot on Reddit too (I remember the r/moviescirclejerk sub having a field day when the nominations were announced).

But no one ever talked shit about Darkest Hour though. Wonder why..... :problem:

Anarchy’s argument applies not only to genre, but race as well. It might be a controversial opinion, but it’s not the first time whenever a ‘black’ movie is in talks for major nominations that people throw all these ‘better’ films whataboutism-style that are usually ‘white’-made. It’s as if a black film needs to be ‘better’ than literally all of these white films for people to even consider it being worthy of a nomination. It CAN’T just be good on its own, no, it actually needs to surpass [insert x white film] to be worthy.

We have sooo fearmongered ourselves into this state of “fake pandering” that we raise SO MUCH HIGHER standarts for minority made films, especially black, because if it can’t be just good-to-great like maybe 80% of the nominees are, or sometimes even mediocre. It has to be a masterpiece, otherwise, it’s not genuine and playing a race card. Now I’m not saying HW doesn’t have a race/other social issues hypocrisy, and I don’t even worship Black Panther myself that much. But something’s up. Maybe not outward racism (directed at no one here), but maybe some subconscious racial bias or something, idk.

Ruth wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 7:07 pm
It’s as if a black film needs to be ‘better’ than literally all of these white films for people to even consider it being worthy of a nomination. It CAN’T just be good on its own, no, it actually needs to surpass [insert x white film] to be worthy.
This part of your post reminded me of this tweet

Artemis wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 7:12 pm
Ruth wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 7:07 pm
It’s as if a black film needs to be ‘better’ than literally all of these white films for people to even consider it being worthy of a nomination. It CAN’T just be good on its own, no, it actually needs to surpass [insert x white film] to be worthy.
This part of your post reminded me of this tweet

I have to admit I honestly kind of felt a similar way about Crazy Rich Asians lol. I did think “hey so that’s the pinnacle of diverse cinema we want to celebrate?” and then it dawned on me - hey, Asians deserve their mediocre rom coms too! That’s equality!

Like literally everybody should be able to make as many shit movies as they can. Don’t watch it if you don’t want to

It kind of brings down the film and makes it seem like its in a different category if it is made by a non white filmmaker and it's totally unfair to those non white filmmakers. Their movie is always going to be talked about how it's only about race and all the stuff behind the simple fact that it is just another movie. So much more is being brought into someone's thought's about a film outside of it just being a movie. People will love or hate a movie before even seeing it now because of what they believe it is accomplishing. When can we go back to just looking at the movie by itself? These poor filmmakers cannot get actual normal reviews and such because they are a different race or gender. When Wonder Woman came out all you heard was how great it was because it was made by a woman, not how great it was just being a great movie.