Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BlairCo wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 2:58 am
Finally... My reevaluated MI ranking (Now including Mission's Un and Deux):
1. Rogue Nation
2. Fallout
3. Ghost Protocol
4. I
5. III
6. II
Pull III from the bottom of the pile and place it up at the top near Rogue Nation, and you have my ranking. :thumbup:

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 3:03 am
BlairCo wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 2:58 am
Finally... My reevaluated MI ranking (Now including Mission's Un and Deux):
1. Rogue Nation
2. Fallout
3. Ghost Protocol
4. I
5. III
6. II
Pull III from the bottom of the pile and place it up at the top near Rogue Nation, and you have my ranking. :thumbup:
Controversial opinion. Care to elaborate?

I don't have the time of night to do so now, but I think the Jules factor was a big part of it. PSH has been the best villain (Lane is so freakin' close), the first scene playing out in medias res set the tone perfectly for the rest of the film, and stakes felt high after they lost Farris, like anything could happen. Everything just felt so on point. Part of it is I'm glad that the franchise found its footing again with the third film, even though GP really paved the way for what it has become.

3 and 5 were tied for me before I marathoned them again. I put 3 a cockhair above 5 right now. I'm really hooked on 6 but from M:I standards is a bit below them, and as great as GP is it has a couple of iffy things that bring it below those. 1 is good but is far removed at this point and doesn't touch the most recent four, and 2 was heavily Woo-ined.

Fallout is no.1
I think Rogue Nation and Ghost Protocol are a tie. Maybe Rogue Nation is a little better than GP because GP is a bit too 'looney tunes' for me.
I and III both have so many pros and cons... Maybe I just a tad over III because the first two acts are pretty damn good.
II is obviously at the bottom.

Also, I really want Patton to return for the seventh film.

1) Fallout
2) Ghost Protocol
3) Rogue Nation

Fallout is what RN would have been if that movie would have sustained the tension and pace it had in it's first hour. GP is mostly great and better than RN in my eyes. Haven't seen I - III in over 10 years or so.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 1:44 am
Cilogy wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 10:07 pm
In defense of not catching up with iconic films, I think films become such a big part of culture that seeing them doesn't really feel like a big priority.

Like, I hadn't seen Die Hard until recently because I feel like you see satires, commentaries, jokes, spoofs, and even the film being used in just casual conversation that it's like "I'm not exactly in a rush to see a film I've already heard so much about, for years, and even seen referenced directly in other films".
what even is this mindset
No need to be a snob, I'm willing to bet a lot of people can relate to it.

Well,in the past 2 days I've finally found the time to sit down and watch both Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation.
Straight off the bat I enjoyed both films, though for different reasons.

Here's my short summary concerning my views on the two films.

Ghost Protocol is full throttle.The films intentions were evident from the moment we witness Ethan's exciting prison breakout and it rarely lets up after that.
The dialogue is sharp and witty,the acting is more dramatised with a whiff of self irony,the fight scenes showcase the underrated skill in physical choreography and the set pieces are thematically grand and heart-poundingly tense.
It's over the top.Its not subtle.
At times it can be viewed as a odd Live-action Saturday morning Kids cartoon but it plays to that notion with such obvious intent.
Had the films pacing dropped off ,its holes may have become more apparent though.

Rogue Nation on the other-hand is alittle more subtle (compared to Ghost Protocol).
The film has more of calming pace compared to its former frantic self.Thematically and Cinematically Rogue Nation is alot closer to De Palma's influential Mission Impossible.
Concerning the performances ,Minor the comic relief Simon Pegg as the IMF tech-guy Benji Dunn, they're also more rigid.
The usage of gadgets were few and far between in Rogue Nation too.Purposefully or not the emphasis became more on what Ethan could achieve with his obvious intelligence and instinct rather than being more or less reliant on a brand new squeaky clean piece of futuristic tech to continually bail him out of sticky situations which was refreshing difference from Ghost Protocol.

If I were to find a consistent fault in both films it would have to lie with the two films antagonists.
Nyqvist and Harris are both fine actors but the real lack of presence was noticeable,though you could argue that neither actor had a great deal of depth to work from.

Overall,as mentioned way above,I liked both films.I can see why they're hugely successful,commercially and critically.Both films offer what,minor Marvel, is lacking in good general audience entertainment by having enjoyable stories,occasional ground breaking set pieces and performers who clearly have respect for the material and ,above all else,their audience.
The Studio,writers and Directors also need to take huge credit in not turning this every growing franchise into a soulless dumb cash-grabber
like Jurassic Park.

DREAMER wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 10:12 am
Purposefully or not the emphasis became more on what Ethan could achieve with his obvious intelligence and instinct rather than being more or less reliant on a brand new squeaky clean piece of futuristic tech to continually bail him out of sticky situations which was refreshing difference from Ghost Protocol.
Interesting, since Ghost Protocol is consistently about the gadgets and tech failing and the team having to innovate.

Dammit,You're right. :lol:

According to GiteshPandya, with China still incoming at the end of the month, Fallout is looking for a possible, incredible, 750 mil. final tally. 🕷