Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Great movie. Too bad the 3D made everything look fake.

Watching Ghost Protocol and my suspension of disbelief is out the window. Every time they set something intense up, they go way too far with it to a point I give up believing it.

Bacon wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 2:38 pm
Watching Ghost Protocol and my suspension of disbelief is out the window. Every time they set something intense up, they go way too far with it to a point I give up believing it.
You can't go into Mission: Impossible movie dissing the 'impossible' angle, it's a recipe for a bad time at the movies. It's already happening, since you're posting here instead of watching arguably the most slick M:I installment courtesy of Brad Bird. 🕷

Yeah, but... still, there is a thing called suspension of disbelief, whether the title of the movie contains the word "impossible" or not. I guess the discrepancy arises in people like Bacon (or myself) when the movie establishes a tone and a world with a set of rules and it just doesn't seem to stay in the confines of that world. It's hard to explain but I already mentioned how I have a problem with the masks in all these films. In any other film it would bother me, and it bothers me in M:I films just the same - to me it's a plot device that throws me out of the film completely.

So, I'm just saying, I'm perfectly fine and probably agree with Bacon's assessment of Ghost Protocol.

m4st4 wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 2:52 pm
Bacon wrote:
You can't go into Mission: Impossible movie dissing the 'impossible' angle, it's a recipe for a bad time at the movies. It's already happening, since you're posting here instead of watching arguably the most slick M:I installment courtesy of Brad Bird. 🕷
The film had a more grounded feel to it and I can comfortably criticize it when its a legitimate problem in the tension. Just because its got impossible in the title doesnt mean every problem evaporates. Its still the best or second best ive seen thus far but ot kept annoying me.

Bacon wrote:
Ghost Protocol is live action looney tunes and one of the best directed (and best) action movies ever made

-Vader

It's extremely well made but there's a point where things don't add up and it's trying to portray something realistically/somberly only to muck it up.
Examples: There's no way that Cobalt, at his age, would survive half the things he went through. Hunt's a special op and even he doesn't go through what Cobalt did. How Cobalt manages to continuously get up and walk it off took me out completely. When he still didn't die after that fall I rolled my eyes.

The scaling the building scene was awesome until he has to get back inside. He tries this daring stunt and it's intense, but he falls out the window with someone grabbing him and someone grabbing the person who's grabbing him. It was like out of a cartoon (Looney Tunes indeed), but the tone the film was going for was that of extreme and terrifying danger immediately before.

Then it's followed by the meeting of the operatives without each other knowing. Extremely clever plan and the added tension of having to make copies of the actual nuclear codes was a really good add-on....until they go without masks cause the mask machine just happens to break. What was meant to be another addition to the tension took it too far as I kept wondering "how do they not know what each other look like?" The film continuously says to the audience that "Maybe they haven't met" but I'm certain that both parties would have been briefed on appearances when handling something as big as nuclear launch codes. It was like the film kept trying to dial it up in scale only for it to boomerang.
It's still probably my favorite of the series so far (MI1 and this one). Elswitt's cinematography is great, Bird directed it really well, and the characters actually all have real depth and feel integral to the story. It feels like the characters drive the story forward rather than the other way around.

I did it! I finally watched the first Mission: Impossible. I've tried watching it like 2 times before, and each time I tuned out of it around the 30 minute mark. I've finally watched it from beginning to end and I gotta say... I've misplaced my low judgement of that movie.

It's a straight-up solid thriller that morphs into an action flick by the end. It made me realise how the whole franchise can walk between big action set pieces and foggy, darkly lit noir anytime it wants to. I've always criticised the film, from what I saw of it, for being too weird and boring. Upon revisiting it, you've gotta admit, being a spy would be a very weird job in and of itself, constantly being double-crossed and talking to people who say things that have more than one meaning.

I've still got the second one to watch (expecting nothing but pure early 2000's chunky cheese) before revisiting Fallout tomorrow, making a reassessment of my opinion.

BlairCo wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 10:51 pm
I've still got the second one to watch (expecting nothing but pure early 2000's chunky cheese) before revisiting Fallout tomorrow, making a reassessment of my opinion.

DREAMER wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 7:50 am
I've given myself the challenge of binge watching this series this week.
I'll probably fail.