Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 9:58 am
That actually would violate TLJ’s text. They are supposed to be nobody drunks and her lineage had nothing to do with her force sensitivity. Hence anyone can be this powerful/force sensitive regardless of parents. Literally the final scene of TLJ is what this is all about, making her parents force sensitive wound undercut this.
I don't even really like TLJ and I agree with this.

I have a feeling TLJ fans are going to make really contrived arguments for why TROS still fits thematically, when, in actuality, TROS is Disney trying to do a course-correction. With as many problems as I have with TLJ, I still don't want a course-correction back to being predictable. TLJ was kind of a course-correction in itself - putting focus on avoiding fan theories and expectations (to the detriment of the film at points).

Greg Grunberg, who is JJ's good luck charm, literally stated that JJ loved the script for The Last Jedi, and even went as far as to say "I wish I were making it". I do think Lucasfilm did not have an outline for the while trilogy before The Force Awakens was released, but I do not believe that Lucasfilm has made any narrative "course corrections" simply because there were plot points that didn't jive with the audience.

Bacon wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 8:22 pm
Allstar wrote:
That actually would violate TLJ’s text. They are supposed to be nobody drunks and her lineage had nothing to do with her force sensitivity. Hence anyone can be this powerful/force sensitive regardless of parents. Literally the final scene of TLJ is what this is all about, making her parents force sensitive wound undercut this.

I have a feeling TLJ fans are going to make really contrived arguments for why TROS still fits thematically, when, in actuality, TROS is Disney trying to do a course-correction. With as many problems as I have with TLJ, I still don't want a course-correction back to being predictable. TLJ was kind of a course-correction in itself - putting focus on avoiding fan theories and expectations (to the detriment of the film at points).
I really don’t understand why some people are already making defenses of JJ and this movie for something he MIGHT do. It’s not TLJ fans that are doing this, more so JJ fans. But if he changes Rey’s lineage...he deserves to be called out on it, not defended or coming up with excuses/rationalizes why he does it.

Why are we dividing fandoms again? My first love is SW pure and simple.

I don’t think we should deal in absolutes here, BUT all I’m saying is that making them deliberate agents who, perhaps, put her into hiding despite being “filthy junk traders who sold her off for drinking money.” Or one parent did and one parent didn’t. Or they saw she was force sensitive and they weren’t, or one of them was or both.

All I’m saying is It’s impossible to really comment on something until we see what the broader thematic and dramatic intent is: and what it adds or subtracts from the previous two movies.

If Rey is full on “mighty SKywalker blood” that will almost definitely be a bad idea. But I didn’t love RJ and I tried to keep an open mind for TLJ and I’m glad I did. Keeping an open mind for JJ in good faith is probably going to be the most enriching way to watch the movie.

-Vader

I’m willing to keep an open mind for JJ, the trailer has really warmed on me and was very well done. I even accepted Palpatine’s return the more I thought about it, I’m pretty excited about it now. I do think it was an odd choice to reveal it in the teaser though. All that said, I think changing Rey’s lineage in any way seems like a bad idea...I’m willing to be surprised if he “adds” something but no I don’t want them to be involved in the force at all and I can’t envision a way I would like it if they are. That said never say never, there’s a small chance I guess there could be an incredible justification. Even if this was a Lucas idea I wouldn’t like it.

I appreciate JJ specifically saying he has to wrap up all 9 movies and met with Lucas before writing. A promise he won’t ignore the PT, he has to deliver on that promise. I’m cautious about it but I hope he does.

Bacon wrote:
Allstar wrote:

In actuality? How is it a course correction? Nobody knows anything.

Beyond that long form film storytelling is at it's best when installments are in dialogue rather than singing the same tune. ESB refutes much of what ANH is about.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 11:36 am
Nomis wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 10:31 am
Wasn't Anakin so incredibly powerful because of the Force sort of choosing him?
In dialogue yes.

Name the times this is evidenced in action, however. He fulfills the prophecy through physical violence not through the Force.
The Force is everything.

Bacon wrote:
Allstar wrote:

Odd, because every time I called you out on your constant nagging about the film, you kept saying that you did, or it's on your top ten of the year, etc. Somehow I really found that hard to believe, somehow.£

anikom15 wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 12:05 pm
The Force is everything.
Of course. But it doesn't change the fact that it has absolutely nothing to do with whoever is more powerful.

Master Virgo wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 12:33 pm
Odd, because every time I called you out on your constant nagging about the film, you kept saying that you did, or it's on your top ten of the year, etc. Somehow I really found that hard to believe, somehow.£
It's still in my top 10-11 films of the year. I don't dislike the film, it just has major issues.

But yeah. Ignore the rest of my post to be sarcastic and condescending. :twothumbsup: