Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cil, I would also have loved to see Finn start a rebellion with the Stormtroopers. That would've been awesome.

Oh holy shit, I forgot about the Knights of Ren.
And so did Abrams, apparently. What was the point of them, ultimately? They were like the Boba Fett of this franchise. They serve no purpose other than to just be named, be a disposable plot device, and get killed at the end.

The fight with Ben is cool, but Ben is the cool one. I understand if there's more to the Knights in the extended universe, but everything we ought to know and like about them should have been shown in the films. Such a cocktease throughout the trilogy.

The point of the Knights of Ren represent
one final threshold of Kylo Ren becoming Ben Solo. The movie just bungles this completely, of course.

The KOR should've been the ones trailing the gang on Pasaana, should've had an entanglement with them on Kijimi, and Ben should've had an actual action sequence with them on Exogul instead of dispatching them in a split second. But yes, in theory, they represent an important element for Ben's arc.

-Vader

I suppose so. I just thought they were built up to be something more.

Also, like, you could switch the title of this film and Episode VIII and I feel it would make more sense, lol

Master Virgo wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 5:22 am
Cilogy wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 1:46 am
Gotta say I was fanboying hard when
you hear the voices of all the jedi speaking to Rey. I wonder if we could get a list of who all contributed to that.

I heard:
Frank Oz, Sam Jackson, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen (maybe?), Alec Guinness and Mark Hamill.

Any others?
Luminara Unduli (Olivia D’Abo), Aayla Secura (Jennifer Hale), Adi Gallia (Angelique Perrin) and Ahsoka Tano (Ashley Eckstein) from Clone Wars

Kanan Jarrus (Freddie Prinze Jr) from Rebels

https://www.thewrap.com/who-were-jedi-v ... -skywalker/

The Luke/Vader dynamic consists of two aspects basically.

1. Vader trying to seduce him towards the dark side, which is what Obi-Wan and Yoda fear the most, what if Luke is ultimately just another Anakin, he sees his own face inside Vader's mask, and that is what Sidious hopes and anticipates.

2. Luke's belief that he can bring his father back to the light.
We already had the second aspect re-imagined with at first Han/Ben, and later Rey/Ben, but in this Abrmas and Terrio also recreate the first aspect in Rey/Sheev, which results in her journey through this story to get even closer to Luke's.

So ultimately we end up with two storylines within the same saga, about two good natured lead characters strong with the force as well as being excellent pilots, who have been abandoned somehow on a desert planet without knowing who their real parents are, being drawn into the main show, by a message inside a cute droid who later becomes their close companion and their main pet basically (lol), only to realise later that they are from the bloodline of their enemy and have to fight with their own demons as well as defeating a fella named Sheev as the big bad in the end.

The way Abrams tries to differentiate between Rey and Luke are quite simplistic.

1. You see, her father wasn't a sith lord, her grandfather is.
2. She does make her own colour for laightasbre (in 1983 this seemed as sth unique to Luke), but it's not green, it's yellow this time. There, she is unique now.
3. She does see the evil version of herself in a vision, but this time she also interacts with it.
4. This time Ren doesn't kill Sheev, Rey does, and Ren only saves her after.

And the film ends with her looking at the sun(s) in the horizon which is an element unique to Luke, instead of something that you can attribute only to her. She becomes Luke's heir. Luke II if you will, instead of Rey I.
Last edited by Master Virgo on December 23rd, 2019, 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I’m ready to rate this.

7.5/10

@Virgo: I mean ikr, it's all too familiar with the OT.

Ruth wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 4:04 pm
My very genuine feeling Ruth is that I don't have a problem with a broadly "safe" first trilogy as long as it was well made, moving, and most of all, cohesive.

OR... inject Rian into writing IX, since TFA-TLJ are close enough he (and perhaps with another collaborator, say, Chris McQuarrie, Brad Bird, even JJ, etc) could have helped this ST feel of a whole.

Weirdly, the Rey/Kylo Ren stuff is mostly consistent as a three movie arc. Messy, but relatively consistent. Ridley does arguably series best work in TROS. It's everything else that's a total mess. The big issue for me isn't any individual movie, it's the cohesion of the ST.

-Vader