Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ethics are for lawyers and people with morals. This is the entertainment business!

I find not giving the character a proper send off more disrespectful. I'm not a fan of Furious films, but what they did with Paul Walker using a combination of double actors and CGI was great and they did right by both the actor and the character.£

Crazy Eight wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:I don't see why CGI is disrespectful, and I don't see any other solution. This film will be made almost 3 years after Rogue One. Chances are the technology has improved quite a bit by then.£
My problem stems less from ethics than it does from my appreciation for acting as a craft. Carrie Fisher isn't around to give another performance, so Carrie Fisher can't give another performance. Cheap imitation is hollow.
i agree with this, mostly

Master Virgo wrote:I find not giving the character a proper send off more disrespectful. I'm not a fan of Furious films, but what they did with Paul Walker using a combination of double actors and CGI was great and they did right by both the actor and the character.£
They can use her character's off-screen death as enormous motivation for the main characters in IX. Seeing her impact play a big role is more respectful than a resurrection.

I would have agreed with Keegan if this was The Joker we were talking about which required creative acting and an imagination. There are certain perceptions on how characters like Han, Leia or Lando might react in different situations. They are not supposed to be unpredictable and inventive, not much new is required to be added to what we already have as the patterns of behaviour and mannerism.£

Don't bring back people using CGI.

Yeah I'm in the camp thats against bringing dead people back with CGI... Its creepy and weird, and would have to be hard for the remaining family to see. Leia is also too iconic to recast (this is my problem with Han Solo spinoff as well, as Harrison as Han is just too iconic) Write her off, it can be done well and add weight.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:I don't see why CGI is disrespectful, and I don't see any other solution. This film will be made almost 3 years after Rogue One. Chances are the technology has improved quite a bit by then.£
You must've missed the ethics debate that's been stirring post-Tarkin.

My problem stems less from ethics than it does from my appreciation for acting as a craft. Carrie Fisher isn't around to give another performance, so Carrie Fisher can't give another performance. Cheap imitation is hollow.
I agree. Reuniting with Luke is in EpVIII and the confrontation with Kylo in EpIX so I can see that this is very difficult for them to find a solution for.
Fisher gave permission for using a CG Leia in Rogue One so I figure Disney will say she would also have been ok with them CGing her in EpIX... But i'd rather have them recast her than that. If it can be done well, having her death happening off screen but I don't see how that can be a satisfactory end for Leia...

Nomis wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:
You must've missed the ethics debate that's been stirring post-Tarkin.

I agree. Reuniting with Luke is in EpVIII and the confrontation with Kylo in EpIX so I can see that this is very difficult for them to find a solution for.
Fisher gave permission for using a CG Leia in Rogue One so I figure Disney will say she would also have been ok with them CGing her in EpIX... But i'd rather have them recast her than that. If it can be done well, having her death happening off screen but I don't see how that can be a satisfactory end for Leia...
I don't think she needs to die on-screen for it to be impactful or "satisfying". If her off-screen death is what motivates Luke and Kylo's actions in IX (ie: maybe it's the motivating factor for why Kylo switches sides), and maybe she has a brief bit of "poetic mirroring" where her last message is a hologram to Kylo that's like, "Help us, Ben; you're out only hope", then I think it'd add A LOT of weight and meaning to IX at it's core.

Crazy Eight wrote:I don't think she needs to die on-screen for it to be impactful or "satisfying". If her off-screen death is what motivates Luke and Kylo's actions in IX (ie: maybe it's the motivating factor for why Kylo switches sides), and maybe she has a brief bit of "poetic mirroring" where her last message is a hologram to Kylo that's like, "Help us, Ben; you're out only hope", then I think it'd add A LOT of weight and meaning to IX at it's core.
Hmm, sounds like something Abrams would do.

Anyway I highly doubt Disney would go with off-screen death. This is not exactly No Country for Old Men. It would be very odd. Like she's alive and well at the end of Ep VIII and suddenly we're at her funeral at the beginning of Ep IX. I'm not sure if that works dramatic wise. I mean you can do that with a character like Peggy Carter who's very old and might die any day from natural death and is also far from being in front and center but in here, I don't see it working on the paper. Maybe they make it work somehow.£