Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Yikes... like Allstar said, usually the first reactions are all fan-geeking out positive, and the reviews level out when the actual movie comes out. If this is the initial word...

Allstar wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 2:21 am
Kyle Buchanan @kylebuchanan
RISE OF SKYWALKER could only have been ruder to Rian Johnson if they had motion-smoothed it

Mike Ryan@mikeryan
STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER is certainly the most convoluted Star Wars. There is a lot I liked, but the first half gets so bogged down with exposition and new plot and doodads and beacons and transmitters, it feels like it should have been three movies on its own.

@mikeryan
My favorite Star Wars are the ones that take their time and focus on the characters. The whole first half felt like all exposition. It does get better. And Lando rules. But there’s just so much plot it feels so rushed. And the Emperor stuff is so weird.

Gregory Ellwood - The Playlist @TheGregoryE
Um so the best thing I can say about Rise of Skywalker is that Daisy Ridley gives her best performance and for hardcore fans...ya get what you want. Wish JJ had another year to work on it. #RiseOfSkywalker
The fact this is just early twitter reactions at the premiere of all places is not a good start. Obviously the Buchanan tweet bothers me the most.Even Germain is conflicted...

Steven Weintraub@colliderfrosty
I might be in the minority on #TheRiseofSkywalker. I have a lot to say but will wait till after it has opened.
Frosty raves everything and only doesn't give opinion when he doesn't like something. :shock:
Here's a link to all reactions, Peter loved it but I literally expected every fanboy to love it and that seems not to be the case. And so far non-fanboys seem quite mixed.
Peter Sciretta @slashfilm
'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Early Buzz: J.J. Abrams Delivers a Divisive End to the Skywalker Saga
https://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the ... arly-buzz/

Eric Eisenberg@eeisenberg
There is good in Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker. But there is more that is disappointing. There are a number of choices that just don't track, fan service that doesn't work, and ignored details that are missed. I'm bummed. #StarWarsRiseofSkywalker
Into Darkness or Spectre 2.0? Terrio was always a big concern.
ComingSoon.net by Mandatory@comingsoonnet
·
Well, #StarWarsRiseofSkywalker is a definitive end to the Skywalker Saga, and a mixed bag. There are moments of inventiveness and crowd pleasing, but much of it is forced. If you thought Game of Thrones was rushed at the end... Leia’s sendoff doesn’t work, but Kylo’s arc does.
and Germain said Buchannon's tweet about JJ being rude to Rian Johnson was "1000% true"
Ryan Parker
@TheRyanParker
It’s amazing. #lastjedi haters will be very pleased. #RiseOfSkywalker
:blank:

I'm seeing a lot of serious praise for it too on Twitter but I don't know the histories of those specific critics.

Massive fanboy John Campea did not like it and said he was never this disappointed leaving a Star Wars premiere.

I know there's a good amount of people praising but honestly those are not interesting being that it is a premiere...premiere reactions are always fantastic with Star Wars...and like you said there history isn't reliable and even some people who normally rave everything are mixed...Germain, Campea and Frosty.

Campea not liking it is probably the most surprising reaction of all.

Scott Mendelson @ScottMendelson

At worst, I expected #TheRiseOfSkywalker to be a well made movie that I didn't like or whose story choices I disagreed with. I was not expecting a genuinely bad movie with video game plotting, thin characters, weak action and endless exposition of no consequence. Heartbreaking...

Scott Mendelson@ScottMendelson

So, #TheRiseOfSkwalker... in the end, it was STAR WARS "fans" that killed #StarWars
The bottom tweet is clearly implying JJ/Disney listening and trying to please Last Jedi haters. Heartbreaking indeed.

Terri Schwartz @Terri_Schwartz

I’ve seen #StarWarsTheRiseofSkywalker. It’s... a lot. There’s a lot I like and some I loved but overall my feelings are pretty mixed. It felt like an apology for The Last Jedi in some ways and a sequel to The Force Awakens in many, which I found frustrating.

Might've included more well rounded reactions allstar, had to dig some more to, quickly, realize you were handpicking the bad ones.

That being said, told you it's going to be a shit show.

Going tomorrow, cannot wait!

I already said the mixed/negative ones were more interesting and usually more honest at a world premiere where it’s typically always glowing. I posted a link to all reactions if people wanted a bigger picture.

Not gonna lie, not having only rave reviews after first twitter reactions is a BAD sign... Still, these SW films have earned my trust so I'll be the judge of it when I see it on Wednesday.

^ That's my point. And the fact there is so many is alarming.
Paul Shirey@arcticninjapaul

Hearing how much most of my peers seemed to dislike Rise of Skywalker makes me happy to hear, as most of them loved TLJ. Did JJ fix my Star War??? ;)
someone compared the rushed feeling of the movie to Game of Thrones final season, can't find the tweet now.

I got my tickets for Thursday, so we will see. I wonder what reviews will be now based on this? :think: Into Darkness got a pass critically so who knows.