Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
What is this press tour anyway?

Boyega just implied Kelly Marie wasn't, quote, mentally strong, to deal with fandom like he and other ST newcomers were. What the fuck.

They are actively trying to make the headline. Just promote the movie and stfu about how you hated being separated on the set of TLJ.

Edit: Sorry for the 10th post Magnar, I'm on mobile damn it.
Edit 2: nvm, already posted, slow morning lol

m4st4 wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 1:52 am
What is this press tour anyway?

Boyega just implied Kelly Marie wasn't, quote, mentally strong, to deal with fandom like he and other ST newcomers were. What the fuck.

They are actively trying to make the headline. Just promote the movie and stfu about how you hated being separated on the set of TLJ.

Edit: Sorry for the 10th post Magnar, I'm on mobile damn it.
Edit 2: nvm, already posted, slow morning lol
what the fuck is up with Boyega this press tour?

the dude has thrown shade at TLJ every third interview for months, and now he's not only calling Kelly Marie Tran "mentally weak" more or less, but also Daisy Ridley for leaving social media for the same reason, which is especially bizarre when they're best friends in real life. He needs someone to check his shit.

PS, it is indeed unfortunate Ridley is ignorant of the privilege she has, but it's worth noting she was raised (I think?) working class her whole life. I wouldn't be surprised if she equates privilege exclusively with class rather than skin color. This might sound harsh, but she's not the most thoughtful person in interviews, so this isn't very surprising.

it'll be nicer once the movie's out and we get more deep dive / thoughtful interviews from Chris Terrio, who so far has said nothing but perfect things in the press. JJ will give better press too.

-Vader

Man, I am soo checking out until after December 18th. Hopefully gf and I can enjoy the movie in a bubble of sorts. Later aswell, December 21st is with whole fam. Just too much noise and pressure right now in the press. Not to mention the whole Burger King story, SW fandom is just the craziest. Comes with the numbers I guess.

Thankfully the main cast of LotR and GoT weren't this whiny about being separted after a while. Lol

m4st4 wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 2:20 am
Man, I am soo checking out until after December 18th. Hopefully gf and I can enjoy the movie in a bubble of sorts. Later aswell, December 21st is with whole fam. Just too much noise and pressure right now in the press. Not to mention the whole Burger King story, SW fandom is just the craziest. Comes with the numbers I guess.
Honestly that's advisable for anyone who wants to have a good time with TROS. I'm going dark this weekend. I recommend everyone else do the same.

-Vader

Master Virgo wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 1:26 am
Maybe bashing Jedi is Disney's marketing policy. Maybe they've given them green light to do it. Since the cast and JJ just can't maintain any level of professionalism all of a sudden.
There’s literally about zero percent chance Rian makes another Star Wars movie imo.

Well if Favereau is really about to take over from KK then I guess Johnson is better off anyway.

Vader182 wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 2:15 am
PS, it is indeed unfortunate Ridley is ignorant of the privilege she has, but it's worth noting she was raised (I think?) working class her whole life. I wouldn't be surprised if she equates privilege exclusively with class rather than skin color. This might sound harsh, but she's not the most thoughtful person in interviews, so this isn't very surprising.
So I’m not going to pretend like I understand the ever so changing definitions of class, but I seriously doubt Ridley is working class. She went to a boarding school, one of her parents is a banker. She has actors and engineers for BBC in her parents’ immediate family. And this is all just from a glimpse at her wiki page. While she may not be upper or even upper middle class, I doubt her experiences, even if she was working class, were in any way similar to those of Boyega’s.

@Magnar, what’s the point of linking a 1.5yr old interview if Boyega is backtracking on his own words? Isn’t that the point? To find all of this slightly shocking, because he seemed kinder and more thoughtful before. He seems to have already apologized though.

Oh and we already have headlines like “john boyega hates the last jedi too!”. So I guess... good job, Star Wars “family”?

I'm not sure I can describe it, but something feels brutally odd about how we as people approach these new SW films - actually, any big budget film - these days... it's just so absurd to have to read pages and pages of discussion about what the actors said about what film and how we're reacting to that and how we're genuinely angry or forgiving or unforgiving, and now we're discussing the actors' background and past comments and Jesus, I really don't enjoy blockbuster movie culture these days :D It just feels wrong that experiencing a film nowadays has to come with this extra package of literally endless dissection of actors, actors' interviews, actors' past work, future work, past life... I'm not sure why this is - I have guesses -, but its really alienating in a way.