Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Isn't it just going to be
We're all Skywalker, we are what Luke stood for some type of thing/shit/whatever
Also no I haven't read any spoilers

That’s a really interesting thing that Rian did. It’s a democratization of Star Wars, saying that your lineage and your blood doesn’t necessarily determine who you are, and your past doesn’t determine your future. But we took those provocations as ideas that we could grapple with and hopefully expand upon in this film, because I don’t think it’s a dialectic of one or the other, where either you come from nothing or you are born royalty. There’s a lot of ground in between. Even [Kylo] Ren’s terminology isn’t… When he says “You’re no one” — well, what does that mean? Is that how Rey would think about herself? Does Rey even think of these questions? I’m trying not to reveal any story points here! There’s a Gordian knot in my tongue. I think those are really valid ideas that Rian put forth, but any series of films, especially if you have three, is a conversation — which is, as I said early on when I was talking to J.J., thesis, antithesis, and synthesis. If Force Awakens asks the question of who is Rey and where did she come from, and then The Last Jedi answered it with a negative in a certain way, hopefully The Rise of Skywalker will take those two ideas and create a third thing.
:| :| :|

This response is really not surprising from the guy who wrote BvS and Justice League.

like even in TFA Rey feels utterly alone. The main reason she’s on Jakku is because she desperately holds onto the empty hope that her family will return, because venturing into life on your own is scary. She feels uncertain and abandoned. She craves for a family. She absolutely wants to know who she is. This is obviously more fleshed out in TLJ, but even in TFA it’s a big part of her spiritual journey, if I can say that

To imply that Rian Johnson completely pulled this idea out of his butt is like.. whatever lol

But also I had a bad day today and took a nap and then had a dream where I was litteraly having bitchy fights with members on here over this film so I just gotta abandon this thread until Wednesday

There seems to be a total misunderstanding of what Rian was trying to do with Rey and Kylo, on Abrams and Terrio's part.

The attempt was to make them break free of the shackles that chained them to the past, so that the two of them as well as the new trilogy as a whole can evolve beyond the ideas and characteristics that already existed in the previous stories.

As was set up in the mirror scene in Jedi, Rey herself is the most important person that she needs to search for, not anyone else from a time gone by. And for Kylo, he needs to rise from under the long shadows of Snoke, Vader, Luke or Han and finds what he himself is destined to become.

That is not Rian telling anybody that something doesn't matter. It did matter, but now it's time to move on and create something else that would matter, in time.

My problem with the film is that it essentially has 2 climaxes, it's badly paced, and hence feels much longer than it is. Some of the trope subversions fall flat for me (Snoke dying has no impact because I don't know the character well enough to be invested in whatever impact this is supposed to have, never cared about Rey's parents either) because I know the franchise only exists to milk nostalgia so I'm not too emotionally invested, which, to be fair, was also a problem with TFA. The characters are not doing anything too interesting here imo and visually the film looks mostly generic from my point of view but yeah, it works overall as a movie but it's not worth all the hate or the praise. It's just ok, didn't blow my mind at all but somewhat entertaining on occasion. Couldn't remember the soundtrack and that for me is usually a big sign that the film failed to make a lasting impression.

I'm probably too old for Star Wars to change cinematic culture for me.

Anytime that people say they're too old to watch some film, they're either really over 70 or under 30, trying to make them seem older than they really are.

LelekPL wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Anytime that people say they're too old to watch some film, they're either really over 70 or under 30, trying to make them seem older than they really are.
I'm still under 30 for about 3 weeks so....

Anyway, space monks with shiny swords flying around in spaceships and fighting an evil empire ruled by a space wizard ain't that impressive to me at this stage of my life.

Here's a subversion: make a Star Wars film that's like an Ingmar Bergman film...can't wait for those reactions.

As a massive Sheev fanboy, he’s the most exciting aspect of this movie for me. Can’t wait to see him. Hopefully that aspect doesn’t disappoint.

So I guess we'll never ever see the original three Star Wars films remastered and released commercially. The interviewer makes a good point about the original Star Wars not being in the Library of Congress because they would only accept the version that was released in theaters.

I mean, I know Disney does in fact have a (4K) remaster of Star Wars so I think the rumors of the original films not being complete or too damaged to fix are untrue. Definitely when it comes to the first film.

It just sucks. I can't stand the altered versions. The first three Star Wars films I saw were the first three released, on VHS, the unaltered versions. And ever since they were released on DVD I immediately noticed they were changed and I never fully loved those like I did with the VHS.

Nevertheless, I still hope that we'll one day see Disney actually do something about it and just remaster The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi too dammit and release them commercially...