Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Emotional investment truly changes perspective on anything. Imagine if Terrio wrote a movie directed by Zack Snyder.

m4st4 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 3:59 pm
Emotional investment truly changes perspective on anything. Imagine if Terrio wrote a movie directed by Zack Snyder.
lol
the message at the heart of Knives Out stands in direct opposition to the nonsense J.J. Abrams pulled with Rey in The Rise of Skywalker. maybe Knives Out says everything Rian Johnson needs to say about it:
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/12/30 ... -skywalker

Interesting.

I do want to be very clear I think the use of Leia's footage in TROS was a colossal mistake given how it wound up in the movie, and pretty much all her scenes are bad. It is completely unshocking to me Leia's stuff had a lot of even worse scenes that got cut.

a ton of Hux/Knights of Ren/Pryde stuff got cut too. Gleeson even joked to press he thought they didn't want him in the movie anymore. Rose is far from the only one this movie's production process fucked over.

I just think they're symptoms of a different problem than "lets systematically remove Rose, cue evil laughter."

-Vader

I could have bought Terrio's statement, if they hadn't annihilated the deep affection and bond between Finn and Rose. Clearly they didn't need Carrie Fisher's footage for that. Rose is one of the leads in Jedi, they reduced her screentime to less than two minutes.

We loved her so much, so we stripped her out of agency and planned for her to be Leia's lackey? :crazy:
Not to mention she still has no real role in the story even after Leia's death.
Last edited by Master Virgo on December 30th, 2019, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacon wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 3:37 pm
anikom15 wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 7:11 pm
These arguments are so silly. The wampa in The Empire Strikes Back is a ‘plot device’. Does that make the scene or movie bad?
This makes no sense

The scene was an important growth moment for Luke in addition to providing visual exposition to the auduence about the force. That scene also sets in motion the entirety of the film and Luke's arc. Rey's scene is literally placed there just for exposition. It's idiotic.

If you stare at a blue wall long enough, you can come up with infinite reasons as to why the wall being blue "matters." But youre equally not being ignorant or obstitant if you just realize the wall is blue because the painter painted blue.
Except it’s not. It actually reinforces Rey’s character. Visual exposition isn’t necessarily bad either. Now, you can argue that the scene was poorly made by pointing out technical issues, or explain why you think it should not have been included or replaced, but to say it’s bad because it’s a ‘plot device’ or ‘there just for exposition’ is weak and hypocritical.

It's a classic Theseus moment...
confront the scary to monster to learn it is tormented and needs pity... the risk paid off... reveals both Rey's characteristics and powers... and foreshadows what is to come, but they could have foreshadowed it in a more satisfying way.

i think criticizing the scene as a plot device isn't quite right. to me it just felt too much like a forced coincidence, an unnecessary side track of what was supposedly happening in the plot at the time. did there have to be a pit there? did there have to be a serpent? could we have saved that time for plot/character development elsewhere? was the "see... she can do this... she's done this before because she's awesome" moment where she heals again have been replaced with a slightly different arc? "she tried to heal someone before but couldn't quite... but the connection / urgency with Ren allowed her to grow stronger and finally do it, which means she is now ready to be a jedi master" i think this would have felt more satisfying.
to me its this missed opportunity, even an "easy way" to get where they wanted to go, which is what makes it feel cheap and meh

I'm a John G wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 5:33 pm
It's a classic Theseus moment...
confront the scary to monster to learn it is tormented and needs pity... the risk paid off... reveals both Rey's characteristics and powers... and foreshadows what is to come, but they could have foreshadowed it in a more satisfying way.

i think criticizing the scene as a plot device isn't quite right. to me it just felt too much like a forced coincidence, an unnecessary side track of what was supposedly happening in the plot at the time. did there have to be a pit there? did there have to be a serpent? could we have saved that time for plot/character development elsewhere? was the "see... she can do this... she's done this before because she's awesome" moment where she heals again have been replaced with a slightly different arc? "she tried to heal someone before but couldn't quite... but the connection / urgency with Ren allowed her to grow stronger and finally do it, which means she is now ready to be a jedi master" i think this would have felt more satisfying.
to me its this missed opportunity, even an "easy way" to get where they wanted to go, which is what makes it feel cheap and meh
It is cheap and meh, and that’s not because of its mere existence. People too often want to judge fantasy from a critical perspective formed by Russian authors, but those Russian authors were writing in a very static contemporary setting. The fact their advice is so literally applied to every form of media today is a tragedy. The fairy-story requires more exposition, more detail, more substance, and it’s not wholly a fault to be inconcise. It’s the nature of the genre.

About Hux
I thought they really could have played with his character more. Maybe it's in what got cut, but he was always his kinda fun cartoonish Starscream-like guy and there was missed opportunity to give him some sort of arc.
But this feels like such a minor thing compared to other huge issues, it's like looking for a hole in a chain-link fence.

Cilogy wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 6:47 pm
About Hux
I thought they really could have played with his character more. Maybe it's in what got cut, but he was always his kinda fun cartoonish Starscream-like guy and there was missed opportunity to give him some sort of arc.
But this feels like such a minor thing compared to other huge issues, it's like looking for a hole in a chain-link fence.
Yeah as a Gleeson fanatic it stings but there’s too many other bigger glaring problems to focus on it too much.

TLJ teased a big rivalry between Hux & Kylo in IX (literally the last closeup of the film)

And we got... this.

May not be huge but a big disappointment for me