Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
the thing that bothers me is the subtle jabs at TLJ like
luke's lightsaber comment. obviously i get that he recognizes he was a grumpy, old man in TLJ, but the way the line comes off is just more fuel for the rian johnson haters. that and sidelining rose for absolutely no reason are the things that i just find unforgivable in this installment

most of the overall story choices are fine and consistent with TLJ/TFA, but jeez this is a messy fuckin movie

The fact that they forgot the "In Loving Memory of Peter Mayhew" it's get me sad and fourius.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 9:34 am
luke's lightsaber comment. obviously i get that he recognizes he was a grumpy, old man in TLJ, but the way the line comes off is just more fuel for the rian johnson haters. that and sidelining rose for absolutely no reason are the things that i just find unforgivable in this installment

most of the overall story choices are fine and consistent with TLJ/TFA, but jeez this is a messy fuckin movie
The most important thing, that they neglected was, "We are, what they grow beyond."

JJ is just a pretty hacky filmmaker and not nearly as intelligent of a storyteller as Johnson and it shows big time here. Also, maybe hiring the guy behind BvS and Judtice League want a terrific idea? Still enjoyed myself overall though
Nothing wrong with Luke’s line lightsaber line imo. “Don’t make the same mistakes I did Rey” the character is consistent with where Johnson left him.
Also, Rian Johnson not giving any thoughts on this movie is telling of what he thought, he’s too classy to openly bash it but before it came out he was saying how excited he was to see it and that he had no idea what happens in it.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 11:05 am
Michaelf2225 wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 9:34 am

The most important thing, that they neglected was, "We are, what they grow beyond."
certainly
Allstar wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 11:34 am
JJ is just a pretty hacky filmmaker and not nearly as intelligent of a storyteller as Johnson and it shows big time here. Also, maybe hiring the guy behind BvS and Judtice League want a terrific idea? Still enjoyed myself overall though
Nothing wrong with Luke’s line lightsaber line imo. “Don’t make the same mistakes I did Rey” the character is consistent with where Johnson left him.
Also, Rian Johnson not giving any thoughts on this movie is telling of what he thought, he’s too classy to openly bash it but before it came out he was saying how excited he was to see it and that he had no idea what happens in it.
right, but that’s exactly what i said the line is fine in concept in context of TLJ backlash it comes off wrong

Even if there was detailed groundwork laid before TFA for the entire ST with unified creative vision at helm, it's anyway extremely tricky to tell one story over 3 films of consistent quality. Apart from LOTR, the only other instance I can think of is Bourne trilogy. That being said, TROS suffers heavily from not having a fixed path for the trilogy since beginning.

All of this is strangely making me more hopeful for Avatar sequels.

spade wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 12:50 pm
Even if there was detailed groundwork laid before TFA for the entire ST with unified creative vision at helm, it's anyway extremely tricky to tell one story over 3 films of consistent quality. Apart from LOTR, the only other instance I can think of is Bourne trilogy. That being said, TROS suffers heavily from not having a fixed path for the trilogy since beginning.

LOTR is very much one film cut in three parts. SW's trilogies have the specifity that each film has its own plot, and the trilogy as a whole has a plot of its own, so I think it's hard to compare.

Demoph wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 1:09 pm
spade wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 12:50 pm

LOTR is very much one film cut in three parts. SW's trilogies have the specifity that each film has its own plot, and the trilogy as a whole has a plot of its own, so I think it's hard to compare.
Argument can be made that fellowship very well has its own plot within the larger story and there are as many incomplete important character arcs in it as in TFA. Yes the structures of ST and LOTR differ in many ways, but there is one story told for both trilogies and it's difficult to achieve consistent quality over 3 films in such cases no matter what.

Palpatine's ending in Return was perfect. The guy was never the strongest, but he was the smartest, he defeated or enslaved all the threats to the prospect of his rule, by strategy, through understanding their weaknesses and anticipating every move they were going to make correctly.

Yoda's advice to Luke at his deathbed was to not underestimate Palpatine, and Luke succeeded where Yoda failed. He outmaneuvered the Emperor by anticipating something that he couldn't. Seeing something that he was blinded to.
And then they bring him back for one vanilla climax, where he gets defeated from being overpowered by someone else and that feels completely inorganic to what the character was representing. It's such a terrible disservice to the character to deny him the perfect finale that he already had.

Wow...just wow.

What did I just watch. :lol:

To the films credit I certainly wasn't bored. I was utterly captivated by its bombastic visual incomprehensible awfulness.

It was a epic disaster narratively.

The title crawl alone instantly set-up the calamity that was about to unfold.
Who wrote that (title crawl) ? A 8 year old ?
Comfortably the worst title crawl I've ever read in this series. Laughably bad.

Hilarious film.
Recommended.