Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 1:46 am
Gotta say I was fanboying hard when
you hear the voices of all the jedi speaking to Rey. I wonder if we could get a list of who all contributed to that.

I heard:
Frank Oz, Sam Jackson, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen (maybe?), Alec Guinness and Mark Hamill.

Any others?
That's all the movie voices. The other ones are characters from Clone Wars and Rebels, according to the internet.
But yeah, that's a great moment in the movie

According to the credits, actually.

Given that I've only seen the film once can someone confirm/deny if the
destruction of Kijimi was indeed a practical effect? It looked way too good to be fully CG.

I'm at work so I'm just going to spew out my thoughts below:
The first act of this movie is hilarious. They wrote a scene strictly for the characters to word vomit the entire plot to the audience. Mcguffins and plot doohickeys everywhere. Brilliant.

Theres a secret Sith planet with a secret Sith fleet because of course there is

Palpatine's alive and is the mastermind behind everything because of course he is

Secret Sith cloning or some shit lol idk just go along with it, we don't have time to stop and explain any of it

They had Rey accidentally kill Chewie? And now she has to fight that guilt and her sense of untapped anger and power? Hey, that's actually pretty goo- lol fuck all that, Chewie is still alive bitches. Welcome to the play-it-safe train, no balls on this ride.

Lets do the exact same thing with Threepio because fuck you

Hey they actually attempted to flesh out Poe as a character, that was nice. Only two movies too late, but that was nice, I guess.

But fuck Finn right? The Chinese market hates black people, so we need to focus on other aspects of the movie - let's go back to the Secret Sith GPS plot doohickey thing.

Oh, we're heading back to the Death Star? Of course we are

The lightsaber battle with Driver and Ridley and the scene thereafter was actually pretty good.

Can't beat Palpatine with one lightsaber? You know what will? Two lightsabers!

Ol' Palpy roasted himself with force lightning again! Haha that kooky old man!

I'm Rey Skywalker because fuck my parents. Buncha losers anyway.
tldr: giant wet fart noise

Should we do an NF-O-Meter? because lol

Shit that reminds me
Like, they just totally drop the love interest plot for Finn, don't they? The whole "I have something to tell you" to Rey just disappears. Then Finn and Rose share like, what, a single look throughout the whole film? Pretty much all Finn does in this is worry about Rey.

I mean, fine, he shares a neat moment with another former stormtropper, but that doesn't like go anywhere. I don't mean necessarily romantically, but like you'd think that would lead to more development or some revelation of Finn's own identity and place in the universe, but nah. They just sorta fight together, and Finn ends up with a hug or two at the end.

In fact, in TFA, I had always hoped Finn would go through this thing where he sort a convinces other stormtroopers to defect and rise up against the the First Order. Would have been some epic shit to see in the third film of a trilogy.

Kelly Marie Tran is relegated to a background extra. Fucking disgraceful and insulting especially after the shit Star Wars fans put her through after TLJ.

Feels like the only character to go through a satisfying arc is Ben. Otherwise, Poe really doesn't seem to have an end to his development. The thing with Keri Russell's character is neat and provides background, but if anything, she develops more as a character than Poe does. Leia's end is somewhat insulting, IMO. Finn's is just dropped completely, and Rey's end is some shoe-horned "lol I'm a Skywalker too" shit.
Last edited by Cilogy on December 23rd, 2019, 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

I think it's a pity Tran didn't got a larger role in this. I mean I know it's already crowded but it seems that they don't give two shits in this entire trilogy about Finn, so might as well focus more on someone else?

I keep thinking about how Rian was writing IX or at least a treatment but Trevorrow seemingly said he’ll only do IX if he can write it completely on his own

-Vader

I wonder how far along Rian got with that treatment and what it was about

Would honestly have loved to see what Johnson had in mind. Cannot in a million years imagine it was anything close to what we got.