Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 2:26 am
Allstar wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 12:20 am
It’s truly a case of caving to the trolls and letting them feel like they “won”.
Maybe, but it's probably more likely Disney doesn't think Rose--a quirky asian character who was in TLJ's most hated storyline--will help promote the movie or move merchandise. This fits the same narrative in 2015 when Rey figures weren't available because Disney was nervous a woman wouldn't push merch. New alien figures are "new" and probably sell pretty well.

For all we know, their market research backs this up. It still sucks. They should (and do) know better for purposes of representation and otherwise. There's no excuse. I'm just saying what I think their (flawed) logic probably is, and there's no reason I can see to think they're worried about "trolls." Considering, you know, RJ keeps re-confirming he's making a trilogy.

-Vader
I agree actually but regardless if they caved to the trolls or not it still gives them the feeling they “won” and that pisses me off.

It does suck.

One of the things I hope most out of TROS is that it makes TLJ retroactively click for people a lot more.

-Vader

I keep forgetting this is coming out this year

Yeah, the marketing for this is almost non existent considering it's supposed to be THE epic conclusion to the whole saga. This should have been an event similar to EndGame if not bigger. I mean, I still think they'll ramp up the campaign within the last two months but that time is coming and nothing seems to be happening. When compared to The Force Awakens this is terrible. The first one has been marketed perfectly with a lot of toys, clothes and merch in every shop, BB8 alone was sensational. But I guess this does mean the toys and merch for the rest of Disney films have been selling really bad since TFA and they don't want to put more money in it.

I know it basically sells itself but still, I am with very little hype from what we've seen so far and I was hyped af just before TFA came out

Disney marketed TFA more aggressively because it was their first Star Wars and even then, the biggest difference is one more trailer and a couple more magazine covers.

The marketing cycle ever since has been more or less identical, except TROS got the D23 trailer instead of a BTS reel like R1 and TLJ. The marketing push always kicks off around "Force Friday" then consumes the last three months of the year. I'm sure they wanted to wait as long as possible for this push out of fear of market pushback from Solo.

As of Friday, at least in the States, you can't walk into a major department store without seeing advertisements everywhere.

It's hard to gauge what the public hype level is, but we all made the same complaints before TLJ and that made 1.3 billion dollars, so.

EDIT: and just to mention, we're getting our first full length trailer in about a week.

-Vader

I wasn't speaking for everyone when I said I wasn't feeling the hype lol

But yeah, this basically sells itself. It's just that with this one included we'll have five Star Wars films in four years. It's weird because thats just one Star Wars film short of exactly the same amount of films the franchise had before TFA came out.

I guess I also don't really like the fact that they got JJ back because it still sort of feels like a more safe route for them to go with than if they went with someone else. I know that TFA was a risk beforehand no matter how you spin it but if you look at the movie it's incredibly similar to the first Star Wars film, so creatively not so different as The Phantom Menace is from the OT imo. But I guess a lot of people disagree with me on that matter. Anyway, from the teaser trailer and the last one we got it feels very close to TFA. Johnson went for something else.

For me atleast I cant help but get this nagging feeling that I'm still waiting for this new trilogy to begin.

I'm not sure where I stand on this anymore in terms of my personal excitement, but one thing I know, is that if this disappoints box office wise, especially on opening weekend, Jedi and Johnson will largely be blamed for it and Disney will go full conservative and super fanservicey from then on.

Then again, this initially under performing compared to the previous chapters seems almost inevitable at this rate, especially overseas.

What would be considered underperforming tho? I'm sure this will make at least $1 billion worldwide