Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
:blank:

Yep and if JJ gives her nothing to do I’m going to be annoyed since he said that Kelly was what he was most thankful for from Rian. Hope that wasn’t just lip service.

Allstar wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 9:20 pm
Yep and if JJ gives her nothing to do I’m going to be annoyed since he said that Kelly was what he was most thankful for from Rian. Hope that wasn’t just lip service.
I'm hoping it's an epic partly for this reason, so every character gets at least a few moments to shine. The ST has way more characters to really juggle than the PT or OT, so it's tough.

-Vader

Plus adding several new characters in the final installment...

So the fight for diversity and representation in films stops when Disney thinks its wallet could be impacted, got it. This has always been a problem with Disney: people can say that they're getting positive messages out of their animated/live action films or whatever but that stuff is totally meaningless when the company does terrible stuff like this because then those films read as shallow and insincere at best.

It’s truly a case of caving to the trolls and letting them feel like they “won”.

There's also a chance that her role was mostly cut out in the edits. It wouldn't be surprising since she was not JJ's character and maybe he didn't know what to do with her. Perhaps he realized it in the edits and her role is now minimal or even gone.

LelekPL wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 2:07 am
There's also a chance that her role was mostly cut out in the edits. It wouldn't be surprising since she was not JJ's character and maybe he didn't know what to do with her. Perhaps he realized it in the edits and her role is now minimal or even gone.
If that is the case then JJ is an utter fraud. Also an alien with 2 secs of screen time can get an action figure than Rose can get one regardless.

Allstar wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 12:20 am
It’s truly a case of caving to the trolls and letting them feel like they “won”.
Maybe, but it's probably more likely Disney doesn't think Rose--a quirky asian character who was in TLJ's most hated storyline--will help promote the movie or move merchandise. This fits the same narrative in 2015 when Rey figures weren't available because Disney was nervous a woman wouldn't push merch. New alien figures are "new" and probably sell pretty well.

For all we know, their market research backs this up. It still sucks. They should (and do) know better for purposes of representation and otherwise. There's no excuse. I'm just saying what I think their (flawed) logic probably is, and there's no reason I can see to think they're worried about "trolls." Considering, you know, RJ keeps re-confirming he's making a trilogy.

-Vader