Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 12:45 am
like anything, those RLM guys serve a certain market

they have an appeal with people who just kind of hate things because others like them

it was interesting and cute at first, but now it seems abjectly contrarian and cynical
sounds perfect for you cil

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 12:18 am
Allstar wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 12:11 am
lol if they actually do time travel to retcon things though...
no

-Vader
No to what?

Lol, I mean I wouldn't put it past JJ Abrams or Disney to try to do this with Star Wars. The expanded universe is no longer canon to tell us that time travel is not possible in that fictional universe so...

Here's the question, what if Abrams does backtrack on plenty of stuff in Jedi (as highly unlikely as that would be), but still makes a better film in the process. Will that upset me? Not in the slightest.

I'll judge this by what it is, not by its predecessors. Past is in the past, that's the whole thing in Jedi.

I don’t care what he does, as long as it’s not predictable.

Predictable being Rey somehow being related to Kylo after all. Which I think JJ was (heavily) alluding to in TFA (i.e. her being the daughter of Luke) besides Maz Kanata's point who could just as well have been kept in the dark by Luke (Leia and Han included).

Given the title of the film though and TLJ, it would make more sense for her to definitely not be related to Kylo. I think the Skywalker name is going to be the new Jedi Order/resistance of some sort.

Master Virgo wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 10:32 am
Here's the question, what if Abrams does backtrack on plenty of stuff in Jedi (as highly unlikely as that would be), but still makes a better film in the process. Will that upset me? Not in the slightest.

I'll judge this by what it is, not by its predecessors. Past is in the past, that's the whole thing in Jedi.
You know I agree with this, the idea of a lot of time travel to change things just sounds bad and unappealing on paper to me. I’m open to being surprised.

I’m still not sure what Vader was getting at, was he dismissing this possibility or endorsing it?

Here's a list of what Abrams has changed direction (these are just in the marketing, footage, and interviews, and magazine articles, not spoiler rumors) from TLJ. I'll put it under a tag because it's a long list of knowns:
Skywalker in the title of the movie
The broken Skywalker lightsaber is repaired and is Rey's weapon again
Leia's story continued via previous deleted footage instead of being written out like they said they were doing during VIII for IX
The hero characters on an adventure together instead of mostly split up
More story to Rey's parentage according to Ridley and Abrams
Daisy Ridley said she worked most days during the overall filming (which was 100+ days total), unlike what she said she did for the last episode in the past (her screen time shrank in TLJ)
Rey's outfit reverted to TFA form + hood
Abrams claimed George Lucas was directly consulted for the story of IX
Kylo Ren's shattered helmet repaired
Knights of Ren back
The return of the Sith teased via the presence of Sith Troopers
New character Jannah promoted more than TLJ's Rose
Rey conflicts with Kylo Ren (desert battle & water battle)
Palpatine tease via laugh in teaser
Luke speaks like he's been Rey's mentor in the teaser
Darth Vader's helmet returns for Kylo Ren (shown at shareholder conference)
Death Star remnants
Lando
IX being promoted as a sequel and satisfying finale to all the SW episodes, not just VIII

^ the vast majority of those aren’t “changes” lol

So many "fans" confuse simply paying off what was set up before as "fan service" or "predictable" storytelling. The illiteracy is real.

And no, I don't think there's a high likelihood of time travel. That one book cover does imply we might have
a "force-time" battle between Rey and Kylo Ren, however.
Based on everything I've heard, TROS will make at least a couple big swing conceptual ideas. The mere presence of Palpatine demonstrates this.

-Vader