Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 10:41 am
ArmandFancypants wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 10:04 am

I would contest that with Finn - the TFA development is from running away from evil to standing against it, the TLJ development is from "I fight for my friends" to "I fight for what is right".

TLJ does a lot of completing of TFA's concepts, such as Poe's mission being resolved, Finn being an actual defector, etc.
this is the right take

but I also understand why people don't get it. it's kind of patronizing to Finn that he saw firsthand what the first order does to people and planets--which got him to leave i the first place--but rose lectures finn on stuff he mostly is aware of just to set him on the right moral path. So that's why it probably feels like a retread even if it isn't.

Another level to this is just how childlike and "innocent" Finn is in TFA, and he's increasingly confronted by the horrors of the galaxy until his moral imperative kicks in to the point he'd sacrifice himself for a great cause, not merely a great person (like Rey).

-Vader
Yes, there are some variations between his arcs. But the structure sadly ends up feeling the same: guy who wants to leave ends up fighting with the resistance against the FO. Actually, I think there are a lot of great and interesting ideas in Finn and Rose's storyline but that to quote what you said about GoT, their story is better than their plot.

Keri Russell (Zorri Bliss): “When I read his script that [J. J. Abrams] wrote I cried. I mean who knows what it will turn out to be and I hope it remains true to what he originally wanted.” “He’s not trying to change [Star Wars] to be something else. He really respects what it is.” “[The character that I play and her look is] bad ass.” “I was like [for wearing a helmet for the character], ‘That is my dream job. I can see everyone. No one can see me. Hello. Amazing!’” “I have such [early] memories of Princess Leia and Chewbacca and Han Solo, I have such memories of them — like everyone does. So, yes, it’s incredible to get to be whatever part I am.” (June 20, 2019)

Actor praises script of project she’s involved in. Not news worthy.

i'm scared

Those dudes contributed more to creating the toxicity of Star Wars culture than maybe anyone else, even if I thought they had okay takes on Star Wars (I don’t really), I don’t welcome their takes on that basis alone.

-Vader

at this point i disagree with all their plinkett reviews but their predictions have been pretty spot on

They went from ‘those cool guys who annihilated the prequels and opened my eyes back in the days’ to ‘those two cynical bastards who hate everything and suck joy out of everything’, so a hard pass. And thank god I revisited my long lost love for the prequels recently. Don’t ever tell me what I should like or dislike RLM, I was still a youngling.

lol if they actually do time travel to retcon things though...

Allstar wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 12:11 am
lol if they actually do time travel to retcon things though...
no

-Vader

like anything, those RLM guys serve a certain market

they have an appeal with people who just kind of hate things because others like them

it was interesting and cute at first, but now it seems abjectly contrarian and cynical