Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 4:52 am
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 7:20 pm
Retrospectively, the Sequel trilogy really weakens RoTJ in the context where you see these as a continuing 9-film series.

Defeat the Empire and bring back peace to the Galaxy? Retconned in TFA
Defeat the ultimate Sith Lord? Likely retconned in this (even if he's not physical, if he has a presence and an influence, sorry he was not defeated)
Anakin's redemption is the only lasting consequence left in this movie which was already the black sheep of the OT...
ROTJ is thematically confused and mostly cheap and nasty and a bad sequel to ESB. So let's have at it.
I also consider ROTJ one of the weakest film of the franchise. And I think it left a lot of door open and I enjoyed how TFA opened one (that the empire army would not disappear but find a new leader) and TLJ another (that Luke was bound to fail the way the Jedi council failed in the prequels), and I think there was a third posibility that will apparently not be used which is the political context: killing the emperor and restoring democracy on every planet are different thing; with the emperor dead the most likely scenario was that each planet would be dominated by a different dictator, kind of like what happened in many countries after decolonisation.

But I see a difference between saying that there are many ways in which ROTJ doesn't end the story and requires a sequel, and saying that what you thought for 35 years had happened in ROTJ has in fact not happened.

Finally, people are starting to realize how bad ROTJ is, in comparison to ESB. TROS can’t be that bad after curve ball that was TLJ, this teaser alone tickled my interest.

You people are crazy. ROTJ is a great adventure movie with an amazing pay off to Luke's journey. The second death star might be an uninspired final battle idea and Han was kind of an after thought in the movie but other than that it has great set pieces, fantastic score, creature effects and probably the best lightsaber fight in the franchise (albeit a pretty short one). Also, how can you hate Ewoks? You have no soul.

LelekPL wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 6:42 am
You people are crazy. ROTJ is a great adventure movie with an amazing pay off to Luke's journey. The second death star might be an uninspired final battle idea and Han was kind of an after thought in the movie but other than that it has great set pieces, fantastic score, creature effects and probably the best lightsaber fight in the franchise (albeit a pretty short one). Also, how can you hate Ewoks? You have no soul.
I like Ewoks. In fact I want them back in TROS. I just can’t accept that bunch of rocks and sticks can destroy AT-ST.

LelekPL wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 6:42 am
Well, whilst the music is great, and Ian McDiarmid is amazing, there are way too many problems with the film. Whether it's Luke'plan to save Han or the emperor's plan to destroy the alliance, they are illogical and just made to artificially lead to the action sequences. Like as seen when he gets his lightsaber, Luke is now strong enough to attack Jabba, yet his plan is based on the fact that Jabba won't kill Chewie when he gets him... That R2 will be there when he'll need him... And he ends up fighting a rancor without any weapon... As Iron Man would say, not a great plan. And the emperor's plan is even worse.
Many parts of the film work only as symbolic narration and not as plot driven narration. Like all the stuff with C3PO and the ewoks, considered as a god, then telling them the story of the two previous film. I understand how they want to give a symbolic and mythological signification to the story, but in the end the different plot devices only make sense as symbol. It's a very different narration from the other SW films, and it doesn't completely work. Also the main cast is definitely not as good as in ESB. I don't know what you mean about the best lightsaber fight. It's mostly great because of the music, the editing,that gives it a lot of emotion, but the choreography is not really good, especially the very end when Vader kneels.

People couldn't stop complaining about the Ewoks when the movie came out and said they ruined the franchise. By the time the Prequels had ended many people had reconsidered the Ewoks mostly because by comparison they were not that bad an addition. And now, just so people can convince themselves that the current Star Wars films are anything but corporate mediocrities, people are willing to exaggerate the flaws of the original trilogy.

I don't care either way because a) RotJ has some real problems and b) Star Wars wasn't my childhood or whatever. But RotJ is nowhere near as bad as the Ewok movies or the Clone Wars animated feature or even the first two Prequel films. It's a cinematic vision by a director, flawed as it may be and it left a cultural impact. The only impact the current films are leaving is the feeling that we don't need more nostalgic properties in perpetuity but rather something new and original.

you think Marquand was the auteur of RotJ but TLJ was corporate mediocrity?

lol

Michaelf2225 wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 10:02 am
you think Marquand was the auteur of RotJ but TLJ was corporate mediocrity?

lol
The Last Jedi was a *meh*diocrity at its finest: overly long, bad pacing, some cool visuals here and there and an overall fumbled attempt at doing something different with the material: admirable but mistaken.

The best thing about ROTS is Luke's arc I guess.

Nomis wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 11:00 am
The best thing about ROTS is Luke's arc I guess.
The Jabba's palace and Luke/Vader/Emperor sections are the best things about RotJ. Han Solo has nothing to do in the movie and it's just another Death Star that gets blown up at the end. Also, murderous teddy bears beat the Empire (I'd say yay because the idea that more advanced technology = automatic victory has always been wrong).