Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
amazing analysis actors and directors want their movies to make money, had no idea

it's common practice for a director to screen for friends and family for advice. implying otherwise is asinine.

-Vader

MagnarTheGreat wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Abrams also showed cuts of The Force Awakens to Steven Spielberg, John Lasseter, Ava DuVernay, Michael Arndt, and other VIPs to get their input and tweak that movie. I don't recall hearing or reading about any of that being done on the last episode.
Yawn. Five will get you 10 that Edgar Wright, Duncan Jones et al were shown it.

Keep spinning

So I went to couple of fanboy pages and it looks like TLJ is all over the place in terms of quality. The boards are pretty toxic right now, to put it mildly.

🕷️

That's the JCF for ya

I say this with the caveat that actual criticisms of the film are of course sound and fine but most fan takes I've seen expose a brutally superficial and selective read of the films that precede it. Many of them on there, really.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 8:29 am
That's the JCF for ya

I say this with the caveat that actual criticisms of the film are of course sound and fine but most fan takes I've seen expose a brutally superficial and selective read of the films that precede it. Many of them on there, really.
I’m all for actual criticism as well but situation on every single place I decided to stealthily visit as a guest seems to be pretty similar from case to case, guy with an OT Luke avatar is most likely to hate on the movie in a pretty narrow minded way. Then there’s other guys with prequel avatars, those are a toxic subclass. It’s like SW has a separate eco system upon eco system inside all of fandom that is pretty specific about what they LOVE or HATE about OT, PT and ST. And ironically it’s not a world entirely separate from the sort of universal phylosophy Star Wars proposes: Dark Side and Light Side, Jedi and Sith. It seems like hardcore fandom is unable to embrace the middle ground. 🕷️

I got tired of Star Wars because of the fans, not the movies. The movies that Disney has made have been fine. But I became tired of constantly reading about "SJWs", "political propagandas", etc. I honestly don't care about that and I just want a good movie, which Disney gave me 4 times out of 4. Do they have issues? Sure, all of them. Some of the characters are weak (Jyn in R1, Rey in TLJ, Bethany in Solo), none of them are really great and reached that Space Opera Epic level yet, like the OT and RotS... Still, they're really good adventure movies.

But the bitching and moaning of the fans really killed a lot of my excitement for SW.

m4st4 wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 5:42 am
So I went to couple of fanboy pages and it looks like TLJ is all over the place in terms of quality. The boards are pretty toxic right now, to put it mildly.

🕷️
I kinda love the divisiveness.

It's like Johnson said, you kinda need something that's received so diversely in order for the franchise to grow/change.

Having said that, this is the same fanbase that almost drove Ahmed Best to suicide, so ...