Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ymailceleb (December 20, 2015)
"Hollywood veteran Harrison Ford will rake in more than £23 million for his role in the new Star Wars blockbuster, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Insiders say Disney producers were so determined to get the 73-year-old to reprise his role as Han Solo for The Force Awakens that they agreed a £16.7 million fee.

Ford will also get a 0.5 per cent share of the film’s gross earnings, which are expected to break records by hitting at least £1.3 billion. It means the actor’s share could be worth £6.5 million."

"[Daisy Ridley and John Boyega] received £300,000 each for their starring roles in the movie, which opened in UK cinemas on Thursday. However, once worldwide box-office takings have topped the $1 billion mark, the pair will also start to receive a small cut."

"The insider added: ‘Daisy’s a virtual unknown, and this is a career-making role, so she’d probably have been willing to take it for free – and Disney knew it.

‘She has been signed to a multi-picture deal with pre-set bumps in her salary that rise substantially with each movie. That doesn’t guarantee she’ll be in subsequent films, but it gives the studio peace of mind to know she’s contractually obliged if they want her again.’"

"American J. J. Abrams, 49, was paid £3.3 million to direct the film, plus a two per cent share of gross earnings. Disney paid just over $4 billion to buy Lucas Films, which make Star Wars, three years ago.

Carrie Fisher, 59, was paid just over £1 million to bring back Princess Leia.

She signed away her image rights early in her association with Star Wars, meaning she misses out on merchandise revenues."
Abrams has financial incentive to make sure IX does as well as it could (following the downward trajectory after TFA) and the actors have incentive as well to talk about how great it is because they receive a cut of the profits according to this, though we did hear a little shall we say less than effusive praise from the actors before and after the last episode. I don't know what Johnson's contract was like, but he wasn't anywhere as a big name director and writer as Abrams is.

Abrams also is a businessman who has his own company that co-produces with other studios which is something else that separates him from the other directors out there. Abrams claimed that for TFA he had final cut over the movie, possibly in a way that didn't bear out for so many of the other SW directors that followed.

These movies should be made for the global mass audience, and not for the indie hipster jerkoff types on twitter or just for the far left of San Francisco who are out of the step with the rest of the world or for the film critics who slobber to Disney so they keep getting invites to early screenings and exclusive movie coverage and the parties Disney throws.
Last edited by MagnarTheGreat on August 19th, 2018, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnar, I'd like to thank you for your continuous informative posts round here, this last one puts a lot of things into perspective as well. As green actors, I still believe, besides the obvious financial angle (end of the day, everyone's looking at their own pockets), a lot of it goes under solitary months (TLJ Skellige shoot etc.) vs. shooting together in a friendy environment for young Ridley and Boyega, since they're so close together. J.J. is the sort of guy who will look at every angle possible to accomodate EVERYBODY, that's why he's so beloved in the industry and that's why he's been hired to do IX after a (mildly put) controversial last entry. 'This one is for the fans' is the sort of drum roll production team and actors are going to play from now until long past the premiere, Hamill already started on Twitter, and you know Hamill is a foxy player. Nobody does these things for free. And as Boyega and Ridley are getting more acustomed to the game, they're playing it better and better. That's just how the industry works.🕷

Abrams also showed cuts of The Force Awakens to Steven Spielberg, John Lasseter, Ava DuVernay, Michael Arndt, and other VIPs to get their input and tweak that movie. I don't recall hearing or reading about any of that being done on the last episode.

Rian Johnson has been hailed for years as a god of the indie hipster types on twitter and elsewhere going back to at least Brick.

that does not answer my question

MagnarTheGreat wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 2:55 pm

These movies should be made for the global mass audience, and not for the indie hipster jerkoff types on twitter or just for the far left of San Francisco who are out of the step with the rest of the world or for the film critics who slobber to Disney so they keep getting invites to early screenings and exclusive movie coverage and the parties Disney throws.

Damn, so that's why John Carter, The Lone Ranger, the last three Pirates films, Tomorrowland, Oz, Maleficent, Alice and A Wrinkle in Time got so much praise from the critics groups. I was wondering about the why of that for so long, thank you for discovering their dark little secret for us.£

MagnarTheGreat wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Abrams also showed cuts of The Force Awakens to Steven Spielberg, John Lasseter, Ava DuVernay, Michael Arndt, and other VIPs to get their input and tweak that movie. I don't recall hearing or reading about any of that being done on the last episode.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing, in your opinion? In my book that's rocknroll. The very reason we got the movie the way it was. Same thing with George Miller's Fury Road, or Villeneuve's 2049, although Denis got that one pretty much approved by everyone from the producers chair. I'd like to call such anomalies as god sends against the bullshit corporative culture that's trying to give us same sugary experience every year so that we feel that renewed nostalgia energy flowing through our bored-out-of-reality minds. Also, hipster jerkoff types are like so 90s archetype, dude. I feel like TLJ was made for me and I'm neither hipster nor a jerkoff type, don't even have a basement. So imagine thousands of guys like me going against the archetype and you'll have the sort of fanboy world we actually live in these days. 🕷

Master Virgo wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 3:42 pm
MagnarTheGreat wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Damn, so that's why John Carter, The Lone Ranger, the last three Pirates films, Tomorrowland, Oz, Maleficent, Alice and A Wrinkle in Time got so much praise from the critics groups. I was wondering about the why of that for so long, thank you for discovering their dark little secret for us.£
Marvel and Star Wars are Disney's biggest cash cows which includes the merchandising and video games and all the rest. They have the biggest marketing budgets as well. The rest is small potatoes. Questioning Disney's sacred cows of all cows is another matter.