Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Lucasfilm considered rehiring Mr. Johnson, a person with knowledge of the matter said, though the director said there were no serious discussions. Instead, Mr. Abrams took the job after Ms. Kennedy called him following Mr. Trevorrow’s exit.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/intrigue-a ... 1525961998 (May 2018)
The Hollywood Reporter - 'Star Wars' Director Drama: How J.J. Abrams Jilted Paramount for 'Episode IX'

The director takes on the Lucasfilm gig despite a $10 million obligation to his "home" studio, leaving newly crowned Jim Gianopulos to ask Disney for make-good money.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ix-1041357 (September 2017)

Star Wars: Episode IX Cast Announced
Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.

Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

Composer John Williams, who has scored every chapter in the Star Wars saga since 1977’s A New Hope, will return to a galaxy far, far away with Episode IX.

Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Michelle Rejwan, and executive produced by Callum Greene and Jason McGatlin. The crew includes Dan Mindel (Director of Photography), Rick Carter and Kevin Jenkins (Co-Production Designers), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Neal Scanlan (Creature and Droid FX), Maryann Brandon and Stefan Grube (Editors), Roger Guyett (VFX Supervisor), Tommy Gormley (1st AD), and Victoria Mahoney (2nd Unit Director).

Release is scheduled for December 2019.

Am I blind or where is Russell?!

Neither Gwendoline Christie nor Lupita Nyong’o were in the original Episode VII announcement so it's probably a similar situation.

Why is Maz back again? Ugh. Nice to see Hamill confirmed.

Yeah get rid of Del Toro but keep Maz Kanata

Ugh

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
July 27th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Ugh
Yeah, let's get back the completely excessive characater with zero bacstory that frankly could have been played by anone.

Maz at least have some mystery to her.

...Leia's back? :|

Sanchez wrote:
July 27th, 2018, 5:16 pm
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
July 27th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Ugh
Yeah, let's get back the completely excessive characater with zero bacstory that frankly could have been played by anone.

Maz at least have some mystery to her.
What? Jesus...TLJ overreaction will never make sense to me.

m4st4 wrote:
July 27th, 2018, 5:27 pm
What? Jesus...TLJ overreaction will never make sense to me.
Not TLJ overreaction. Nothing about the role really required Del Toro. He literally added every sense of depth to that character because he's that good, but he's still not memorable. I'd rather have him come back than Maz though for sure.