Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Señor Thorne is a terrific writer. It's a shame Colin is a milquetoast.

Skyab23 wrote: Cursed Child is an abomination. The character motivations make no sense and are not consistent with the characters described through the original 7 books. The play itself may be entertaining to watch and experience, but as a script it's terrible. I could go through a list of every single major character from Harry's treatment to his son and the things he says to him, blaming him for this and that and then retracting the statement by explaining he never had a father figure (yes he did-Arthur Weasley, Hagrid, Sirius, etc, etc). This is just the tip of the iceberg with the mischaracterizations in this script by Thorne.

When that's not enough, the entire plot reads like bad fan-fiction written by a 12 year old. A secret love child? Seriously? Voldemort would never accept a child because he couldn't feel love. He created horcruxes to establish his immortality; a child is the definition of accepting your mortality--this decision flies in the face of the character motivations of Voldemort from canon.

And the "explanation" of a secret time-turner not only contradicts that all of the time-turners were destroyed, but also with the rules of time-turners being unable to truly change history, much less go back in time by decades and decades.

What I'm trying to say is...fuck Thorne.
lol

Skyab23 wrote:The character motivations make no sense and are not consistent with the characters described through the original 7 books.
The play itself may be entertaining to watch and experience, but as a script it's terrible.
When that's not enough, the entire plot reads like bad fan-fiction written by a 12 year old.
Sounds like he's the right man for the job.

Skyab23 wrote:Cursed Child is an abomination. The character motivations make no sense and are not consistent with the characters described through the original 7 books.
I mean, I'm not going to change your mind, but the characters have aged. And their motives and characterization will have developed over that journey. I'm curious as to which characters you think are "wrong" though.
The play itself may be entertaining to watch and experience, but as a script it's terrible.
Plays are meant to be watched, not read - I think releasing it as a script so early was unwise because you miss entirely what the actors bring to it.
I could go through a list of every single major character from Harry's treatment to his son and the things he says to him, blaming him for this and that and then retracting the statement by explaining he never had a father figure (yes he did-Arthur Weasley, Hagrid, Sirius, etc, etc). This is just the tip of the iceberg with the mischaracterizations in this script by Thorne.
Does it not kinda make sense that Harry might be a bad father? Those characters you have listed are not paternal figures, Hagrid behaves more like a big brother, Sirius is an only intermittently-present uncle-type, and Arthur is ultimately more of a friend, he doesn't have any paternal influence on Harry at all.

It just seems like an urge to lionise the protagonist of the series and if any flaw was imposed upon him as a person rather than as a hero then that's an insult, maybe? I don't quite get it, bearing in mind that Rowling also set Harry up has being more emotionally volatile than anyone in his friendship group.
When that's not enough, the entire plot reads like bad fan-fiction written by a 12 year old. A secret love child? Seriously? Voldemort would never accept a child because he couldn't feel love. He created horcruxes to establish his immortality; a child is the definition of accepting your mortality--this decision flies in the face of the character motivations of Voldemort from canon.
It's not necessarily motivated, though, IIRC. It's not part of his plan at all. He doesn't grab a pamphlet and have a good muse about it, Tommy was just after a bit of pussy.
And the "explanation" of a secret time-turner not only contradicts that all of the time-turners were destroyed, but also with the rules of time-turners being unable to truly change history, much less go back in time by decades and decades.
But the story itself belongs in part to Rowling, so... I dunno. Not saying she can't make mistakes but she's made it up so she kinda can change the rules.

Sorry, I don't want to derail the thread, and I do want to know about those criticisms because I find the divide between the reception of die-hard Potter fans who have seen the show, and those who have only read the play are like night-and-day. And I think it is relevant because Thorne will have to do similar things here. I mean, I know I dislike where the Big 3 went in TFA, but I chalk that up to the lack of context and hold out hope that some of it gets explained or justified.

Could Disney return to the role of bully on the block by releasing it in December?

Trevorrow OUT http://www.starwars.com/news/a-statemen ... episode-ix
Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.

lmao this is absurd. Lucasfilm is a mess.

Wouldn't be shocked if Abrams replaces him lol. They want to play it safe as possible.
Last edited by Allstar on September 5th, 2017, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bring J.J. back

Abrams would make me puke.

But if, say, they retained Johnson...

Or... lured someone from WB... :gonf:

ArmandFancypants wrote:Abrams would make me puke.