The Batman (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Pratham wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 11:59 am
Nomis wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 10:37 am
ikr? He also has the right age for the part, compared to Pattinson.
I think Alfred ideally should be in mid 70s. Else it would mean that he left his job in his late 30s or early 40s for Waynes and it gives him barely a decade as spy badass.
Or two decades if he began in his early 20s :P

I think Brosnan's age is perfect. Really hope the rumour is true and Reeves will cast him.

Nomis wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 6:34 am
Pratham wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 11:59 am
Nomis wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 10:37 am
ikr? He also has the right age for the part, compared to Pattinson.
I think Alfred ideally should be in mid 70s. Else it would mean that he left his job in his late 30s or early 40s for Waynes and it gives him barely a decade as spy badass.
Or two decades if he began in his early 20s :P

I think Brosnan's age is perfect. Really hope the rumour is true and Reeves will cast him.
I don't think on field agents are that young. :think:

idk it's still fiction though :P

Late to the game but I think Reeves will shoot this on film. I commented on the Batman IG post on Fraser's page, saying I hoped it would be shot on film, and he liked my comment.

Reeves wanted to shoot Dawn on film, but was forced by Fox to shoot native 3D. I guess he stuck with it on War because I imagine, considering it's all performance capture based, it's also an easier workflow and process to shoot digitally. Hell, that's why Spielberg had to shoot The BFG digitally.

So yeah, I'm hopeful. A digitally shot Batman film doesn't feel right either.

On another note, Fraser's (and Baz Idoine) work on The Mandalorian looks gorgeous. I'm not huge on his work on Rogue One which is very well shot but going digital on that one was a mistake, it just felt so clinical and flat at times. For some reason, it works on The Mandalorian.

Guess we'll find out once they start shooting in January. I'm inclined to think they're going to shoot on the alexa LF and alexa 65 though, which I would also be fine with.
As for film, would be amazing if they'd shoot this entirely on 65mm and IMAX. Fraser once said he thought 35mm never got close to the medium/large format analog photography he did back in the day. 65mm and especially IMAX film is much clearer than 35mm.

I'm just happy Fraser is going to shoot this. In the end, the format they choose is just one of the many important aspects of the films' look, not the sole one.

Perhaps but the difference is huge. This is Batman, it needs film imo, it needs that texture. It also bums me out they switched to digital on Aquaman and Shazam !, so much was lost. Aquaman looks great underwater but otherwise, the clinical, flatness of digital always personally bothered me. Shazam ! is another example, exacerbated by Sandberg not having a great eye. BOP is digital too, WW1984 film, so I hope they don't phase out film completely on the rest of the DCEU. It's a great way to set themselves apart from the MCU.

It's clear also from reading the coverage on Vice and other films that Fraser shot on film that he prefers film over digital.

Looks like this film vs. digital convo has shifted to this topic :lol:

Look, I’m all about film and I’d be happy if they end up shooting on film (for the look and feel of it and for the support). But it’s not about the camera, it’s about who captures the images and how they process them. There are so many films shot digitally that look good, with the right amount of contrast and color. My problem with Rogue One is a color grading one.

Aquaman? I hate that hazy soft look they went with for certain scenes. Again, not the camera’s fault but that is the look the cinematographer wanted.
Last edited by Tarssauce on August 25th, 2019, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

If you have no problem with digital, then that's cool for you. I'm just saying, there is a huge difference, it's there, it matters.

Ok.

This fucking discussion again.