Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
the_red_ninja wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 9:45 pm
Yeah this a pretty forgettable film. Makes you realise that no one really cares for a young solo.

Rogue One was much more relevant, and so much more watchable.
First thing that came to me some ten minutes into this.

Solo is a character study if we decide to completely erase cinematic studies that truly deserve to be called that - studies. The whole movie suffers from a forced greater-than-life protagonist syndrome because the entire world around him is built specifically to take notice of him and ‘teach’ him a thing or two about life. But in such process they’re forgetting it also needs to be a world that lives on with or without Han. It’s not lived-in experience (one of the core values of any Star Wars movie). Not to mention how every single thing he does later in his life (and in OT, of course) gets some sort of explanation here, the worst prequel offender.

This is also the only SW entry out of Disney four that made me think ‘wow, this is embarrassingly SJW’. All of the other movies were on point in painting the world of Star Wars, the world of variety and imagination and quirkiness. Solo on the other hand? TAKE NOTICE OF A BLACK WOMAN KISSING A WHITE GUY SHOT, VIEWER. That’s most likely a directorial mistake.

The script... is basic as it gets. Overexplanatory, obvious, occassionally snappy but mostly trying to be. It works as a story, but are we going to praise something that isn’t a narrative mess just because it’s not a mess, like some recent blockbuster examples, or are we going to further grade said story? Renault Twingo is a solid city car, but Ford Fiesta it ain’t. In comparison with J.J.s Trek 2009 Solo fails miserably.

Excellent comparison with theatre, Armand.🕷️

With the notable exception of L3 and everything to do with her, I really dig this movie.

After The Last Jedi falling out of favor with me, and already not anticipating anything at all about this, I actually enjoyed this a bit. I loved some things like the film showing how strong a Wookie is. Seriously, we always heard how strong tough they are but they never seemed that intimidating to me at least until the first Han and Chewy encounter here (I think the way it was shot helped a ton with this). A lot of the action was really well done and looked great, am I alone in being a bit impressed with the action in this one?

It was a pretty fun movie, and one I will go back to when I feel like doing a Star Wars marathon.

PowerDump wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 11:58 pm
After The Last Jedi falling out of favor with me, and already not anticipating anything at all about this, I actually enjoyed this a bit. I loved some things like the film showing how strong a Wookie is. Seriously, we always heard how strong tough they are but they never seemed that intimidating to me at least until the first Han and Chewy encounter here (I think the way it was shot helped a ton with this). A lot of the action was really well done and looked great, am I alone in being a bit impressed with the action in this one?

It was a pretty fun movie, and one I will go back to when I feel like doing a Star Wars marathon.
:twothumbsup:

Well, this was no Rogue One, but I enjoyed it overall, especially the third act. Also I like L3, sue me.£

Solo is the first movie since Disney bought Lucasfilm not to have any kind of Oscar Campaign for any category.

Dang.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 9:52 pm
Solo is the first movie since Disney bought Lucasfilm not to have any kind of Oscar Campaign for any category.

Dang.

-Vader
Which will make it the only live action SW film to not get any nods I guess

They're burying this one... As they should.

Star Wars Insider just said Lord and Miller shot Savareen for 12 weeks. 3 months at the desert planet at the very end That's like, almost HALF the total shooting time for the whole production for the force awakens or the last jedi.

No wonder they were fired lol.

-Vader

may have been more significant in their cut