Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 2:48 pm
m4st4 wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 2:11 pm
This fucking mess of a movie... :facepalm:

Barely survived to the finish line.🕷️
What a surprise reaction from you.
Did you want me to surprise you? Was that ever on the table?

I wanted to be consistent with my emotional delivery in this thread and the final product helped, a lot.🕷️

Look you skipped this in theaters and were trash talking it the whole time it was playing without seeing it. I’m sure you went in with an open mind though!

Allstar wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 2:59 pm
Look you skipped this in theaters and were trash talking it the whole time it was playing without seeing it. I’m sure you went in with an open mind though!
Always.

Wait, did you like this movie? Is that why I sense salt in your words? Somebody’s opinion didn’t match with yours so rather than provide something substantial you’re going to reference irrelevant posts from the past to prove a point and attempt to shoot down said opinion? But wait, who even does that, right?

:checksusername:

Oh... oh. Move along people.🕷️

Why would I provide something substantial when you did not post anything substantial? This is a fun movie for EU fans and is anything but a mess, it’s quite narratively consistent. Call it safe or bland or whatever but it’s really not a mess.

Moving on...

It’s not messy? What a revelation, thanks.

You’re entitled to your opinion, I stated mine. 🕷️

if you mean the filmmaking is "messy" you're not wrong, it's tonally erratic and aesthetically counter-intuitive, and the result of some editorial butchering the movie has a stop-start quality.

but if you mean narratively, I really disagree. The Enfys stuff is somewhat messy, but by and large the script is pristine. Well structured and well paced, competently establishing stakes. Not sure what's narratively messy about it.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 3:26 pm
if you mean the filmmaking is "messy" you're not wrong, it's tonally erratic and aesthetically counter-intuitive, and the result of some editorial butchering the movie has a stop-start quality.

but if you mean narratively, I really disagree. The Enfys stuff is somewhat messy, but by and large the script is pristine. Well structured and well paced, competently establishing stakes. Not sure what's narratively messy about it.

-Vader
Narratively - straight forward as it can be.
Tonally/aesthetically/acting wise - messy as hell.

But, on the other hand, what a story. The entire movie is built around every single thing Han’s done, or said, in ANH. And it’s boring. Like I want to watch TFA again just to feel good again and see how SW nostalgia fest is done.

Let’s not feed allstar’s baits. 🕷️

I'm of the opinion if the exact same script was adapted by a terrific filmmaker (and wasn't fired) it could've been a really great Star Wars movie.

Frankly, under the circumstances of production the movie coming out as competently as it did is a fucking miracle.

Personally, I really enjoy Solo but I get why others wouldn't.

-Vader

Cilogy wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 2:14 pm
Is it at least worth it for Gambino Calrissian?
I've heard he's only in half the film. Not sure that would be able to make the movie "worth it" if it needed saving.

I still need to see this but I'm very hesitant to.

Vader182 wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 4:10 pm
I'm of the opinion if the exact same script was adapted by a terrific filmmaker (and wasn't fired) it could've been a really great Star Wars movie.

Frankly, under the circumstances of production the movie coming out as competently as it did is a fucking miracle.

-Vader
Agree on all accounts.