Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
‘Solo’ will stay in the ‘Star Wars’ family with veteran franchise composer John Williams set to write the theme for the standalone film about Han Solo, slated for release on May 25. It will be Williams’ ninth assignment.

Williams revealed his involvement in “Solo: A Star Wars Story” during in an interview with Variety about his current “Star Wars” opus, “The Last Jedi.” “The present plan is that I’m writing a theme for Han Solo, and John Powell is going to write the score, which he’ll do brilliantly,” Williams says.

Powell was announced as the primary composer for “Solo” back in July. “His assignment is something I’m very happy about,” Williams adds. “What I will do is offer this to John, and to [director] Ron Howard, and if all parties are happy with it, then I will be happy. … John [Powell] will complete the score. He will write all the rest of the themes and all of the other material, which I’m going to be very anxious to hear.”
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john- ... 202650282/

Donald Glover on acting, Ron Howard, and what the directorial switch-up changed:
“It didn’t really [change]. I think we were never faced with anything like that and he did a good job of coming in and didn’t want us to change what we were doing at all. He wanted us to be comfortable with our vision.”

“This is the first time in a long time, I was just acting. Most of the time, I have to write or do music. This time I woke up and got to be somebody else and the stress wasn’t there for me.”

“I remember going on set one of the first times, he was like, ‘Yeah, I want to follow you onto the Millennium Falcon and do this thing.’ I was like, ‘I don’t think I’ve ever seen the outside go into the inside.’ He’s like, ‘Yeah, no one’s ever done that shot.’ As a fan I was like yeah, I was really excited. I know there’s been a lot of talk in the press about this movie but for me anyway, it was a dream and also it looks really cool to me.”
http://uproxx.com/hitfix/donald-glover- ... alrissian/

Character names from LEGO sets also:
Harrelson - Tobias Beckett
Clarke - Qi’Ra
Newton - Quay Tolsite
Walter-Bridge - DD-BD

Han Solo himself doesn't seem to have any motifs or themes in the original trilogy. You could argue for Han Solo and the Princess, but that's in the context of their relationship, or TIE fighter attack, but that's more associated with the Falcon.

Panapaok wrote:
Just as quick as the random, still InDesign tagged artwork for the upcoming spinoff circulated, Lucasfilm and Disney have informed ScreenRant that the artwork isn’t official.
https://theplaylist.net/lucasfilm-force ... -20171227/
Debunked. Artwork is apparently real due to Lego sets. Not film stills, but promo images.

Of course it’s real, just not movie marketing real.

With Infinity War and Deadpool 2 both now in May, Solo has gotta be pushed back.

nolannolanchrischris wrote:
‘Solo’ will stay in the ‘Star Wars’ family with veteran franchise composer John Williams set to write the theme for the standalone film about Han Solo, slated for release on May 25. It will be Williams’ ninth assignment.

Williams revealed his involvement in “Solo: A Star Wars Story” during in an interview with Variety about his current “Star Wars” opus, “The Last Jedi.” “The present plan is that I’m writing a theme for Han Solo, and John Powell is going to write the score, which he’ll do brilliantly,” Williams says.

Powell was announced as the primary composer for “Solo” back in July. “His assignment is something I’m very happy about,” Williams adds. “What I will do is offer this to John, and to [director] Ron Howard, and if all parties are happy with it, then I will be happy. … John [Powell] will complete the score. He will write all the rest of the themes and all of the other material, which I’m going to be very anxious to hear.”
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john- ... 202650282/
Like beyond excited for a John Powell Star Wars score.

John Powell's name, when announced, made me so happy I forgot that in my naivety, I was kind of hoping for Zimmer to do this one.£

Yeah same, especially when Howard got the job. But it's gonna be exciting with Powell.

I enjoyed the soundtrack for How to Train Your Dragon so hopefully he can make something memorable for this as well.