Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
June 24th, 2018, 7:51 pm
It's part of the problem but I would have thought spending only 4 months marketing it was the most dumbass bit
I forget where I read it but reading that Disney wasn't going to allocate marketing space from Infinity War to Solo to make up for lost time was interesting, too.

-Vader

Numbers wrote:
June 24th, 2018, 9:27 pm
Allstar wrote:
June 24th, 2018, 7:38 pm
Gregory Ellwood @TheGregoryE
Solo hits $202 mil in the U.S. and $353 global. Any other franchise would be thrilled with that, but when you reshot 70% of the movie and ballooned your costs maybe that was the real problem? Kathleen made a mistake.
Thrilled? Nah.

It'd be disappointing if Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Fast & Furious 9, or Bond 25 made $353m.
Lol so true. ‘Thrilled’, with 350 mil. global, on that budget? Who is this guy. :lol:

True but normally 200 million domestic would be good enough. The bombing internationally hurt it more.

Allstar wrote:
June 25th, 2018, 12:20 am
True but normally 200 million domestic would be good enough. The bombing internationally hurt it more.
You think so? It’s not a saga entry but I see everything below 600 mil. on that budget and with that branding as a major disappointment, domestic or not. Even anecdotal evidence as me asking several classes if they know about this new Solo movie and them talking solely about Thanos and Deadpool tells me couple of things: kids have their own heroes these days (Marvel, Deadpool, Fortnite etc.) and Solo marketing was just terrible.

But you know what, some ideas are just bad from the get go. Seemingly everybody wants that Kenobi movie... Fett always sounded like a cool idea. Young Solo was never a good idea, not on paper, not today. So that’s their biggest mistake, choosing a wrong horse for the race and putting it out there measly five months after TLJ, which had its own controversies.

Kennedy’s second mistake was not reacting accordingly after that one. Solo should’ve been a December release.

Not Kennedy's call, she's in charge of the production company not the studio.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
June 25th, 2018, 10:23 am
Don’t tell me she has no say with her bosses. And fine, throw the studio as numero uno there.

m4st4 wrote:
June 25th, 2018, 11:21 am
ArmandFancypants wrote:
Don’t tell me she has no say with her bosses. And fine, throw the studio as numero uno there.
The three films already produced had all already shifted from May. Disney is the one hurt by the December move, not Lucasfilm.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 4:50 am
m4st4 wrote:
June 25th, 2018, 11:21 am
ArmandFancypants wrote:
The three films already produced had all already shifted from May. Disney is the one hurt by the December move, not Lucasfilm.
I meant Studio, as in Disney, then LF.
Chain of command, everybody hurts in their own way.

the cinematography was objectively good

the cantina scene music was lit