Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
lol, as predicted you could not provide hard evidence.

Bacon is right, almost... Kathleen Kennedy is probably the only person from that set, along with his producer friend, who actually loves Rian. But that doesn’t mean Ridley publicly ‘bashed’ him. She’s too professional for that and, more importantly, Rian wasn’t there to be loved. He was there to deliver a specific vision, which he did. Unexpectedly, he’s closer to Fincher in that regard. Add Ridley being ill for most of the Skellige shoot, being far away from his buddies, close to Hamill who openly disliked everything about Luke but still openly said how he wanted to knock the role out of the park (which he did) and you got yourself a fuller picture. There’s a scene in the documentary where Rian hugs Ridley and thanks her for everything, her last day on the set and you can tell she was proud and happy with her work.

Hell, Carry Fisher at one point says, quote: ‘Don’t believe the stories, Rian is a prick.’ And he knows it. And still adored the hell out of Fisher, Ridley, Driver etc. His job is not to be loved by everyone, fans included, like JJ.

Rian is a genuinely tough bastard to work with but knows exactly what he wants, unlike those two improvisational dudes. So I’m guessing Kennedy will most likely continue hiring veterans from now on.
Last edited by m4st4 on May 23rd, 2018, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allstar wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 10:52 pm
lol, as predicted you could not provide hard evidence.
I wish I got paid based on how many variants of the same post you make on this site. You're as predictable as a child.

http://www.nme.com/news/film/daisy-ridl ... rs-2169371

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VGsJSX_YDc at 0:33

She's obviously being very careful about what she's saying but you can tell she had some issues with Rian and the finished product.

That doesn't make TLJ a poor film, I'm just saying that it's not some HUGE deal that a star is talking about problematic film experiences they had making the movie like you're trying to make it out to be since you dislike Lord & Miller, yet another one of your hard stances you troll on this website with.

10th posted:
Bacon is right, almost... Kathleen Kennedy is probably the only person from that set, along with his producer friend, who actually loves Rian. But that doesn’t mean Ridley publicly ‘bashed’ him. She’s too professional for that and, more importantly, Rian wasn’t there to be loved. He was there to deliver a specific vision, which he did. Unexpectedly, he’s closer to Fincher in that regard. Add Ridley being ill for most of the Skellige shoot, being far away from his buddies, close to Hamill who openly disliked everything about Luke but still openly said how he wanted to knock the role out of the park (which he did) and you got yourself a fuller picture. There’s a scene in the documentary where Rian hugs Ridley and thanks her for everything, her last day on the set and you can tell she was proud and happy with her work.

Rian is a genuinely tough bastard to work with but knows exactly what he wants, unlike those two improvisational dudes. So I’m guessing Kennedy will most likely continue hiring veterans from now on.
Last edited by Bacon on May 23rd, 2018, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsxWrTmXHpc[/youtube]

Daisy Ridley: “[Star Wars: The Last Jedi] is where it proves that I am not the centre. It’s not based around my character – it’s so much bigger than me, that’s an understatement… I’m like a cog in the machine.” (February 5, 2018)

(Rey has the most screen time in TLJ, but it's been significantly cut down from TFA to one of the lowest of a lead in a SW movie.)

Daisy Ridley: “Also what’s interesting because I guess it took us [me and Mark Hamill] six months from when we read the script to finish filming, it took us a while to reconcile our [personal] feelings, it will be interesting to see if given time people feel differently about the story because you [Mark Hamill] shared [with your complaints] what I guess a lot of people [in the audience] thought [after seeing the The Last Jedi]. I think a lot of people shared what – expressed sort of similar feelings initially so it will be interesting to see if that changes over time.” (January 4, 2018) (archive)

Daisy Ridley, actress: “[Rey and Kylo a couple?] Not at all, it’s that simple. The Last Jedi gave me a different feeling. The audience’s view of Kylo Ren will change. Rey thinks he can be redeemed, and she understands him, I’m glad they can come to this kind of understanding, but in the end Kylo is scum, so I think… (interrupted by Mark Hamill) (copies Hamill’s joking tone) ‘[Kylo]’s just lonely.’ So i think i can understand why fans would think this way, but i don’t support it.” (January 4, 2018)

Daisy Ridley: “It’s wonderful to have relationships that are not romantic. I don’t think in films you always need a romantic relationship. I think friend relationships can be romantic in their gestures and their intimacy. Hopefully, if Rey and Poe get to have some scenes together, there will be intimacy but, for me, it doesn’t have to be romantic love.” (January 9, 2018)

Daisy Ridley: “[Was Rey’s backstory completed before the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens?] Here’s what I think I know. J. J. wrote Episode VII, as well as drafts for VIII & IX. Then Rian Johnson arrived and wrote TLJ entirely. I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy, but apart from that, every director writes and realizes his film in his own way. Rian Johnson and J. J. Abrams met to discuss all of this, although Episode VIII is still his very own work. I believe Rian didn’t keep anything from the first draft of Episode VIII.” (March 1, 2018)

Ridley & Boyega reaction: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/traile ... i#/slide/1
Ridley cries and rejoices in Abrams directing/writng Episode IX (instead of Johnson who she thought had the job): http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/feat ... ed-w513392
John Boyega & Daisy Ridley set interview from the royal visit in 2016: "Daisy: And I think everyone knows that Rian is gonna do a bit of a different thing... and it's cool. John: And if it fails we'll fly to Nigeria. It's all good. <laughs> Daisy: Yeah! I can come live with your family! <laughs>"
Last edited by MagnarTheGreat on May 23rd, 2018, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m4st4 wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 11:06 pm
But that doesn’t mean Ridley publicly ‘bashed’ him. She’s too professional for that and, more importantly, Rian wasn’t there to be loved.
Exactly and that is my point. I am well aware of everything else you said.

lol Bacon... the interview you posted she said "the rest of the film is fantastic" she was just being critical of her own personal work. Once again she did not bash Rian at all.

Edit- I don't dislike L&M, I have praised all their movies. I just thought they were wrong for this and I was right.
Last edited by Allstar on May 23rd, 2018, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think at some point in the future we'll hear people be even more candid than they are now. :oops:

John Boyega: "I did say, when I've read [Episode IX], I will let people know. But nothing yet." "Because of the way The Last Jedi ended, I don't know what they could do now." "I just hope that – obviously JJ's in a space where creatively he's been able to create something exciting, as he always does. So I want it to be fun. Hopefully we get to find out more about the characters that they set up from VII." "And perhaps a shocking moment. Each trilogy has got to have that moment, right? So to have a shocking moment would be cool, too. But as of now, I don't know a thing." (May 18, 2018)

Magnar, she was openly unhappy with pretty much everything in VIII.

Bashed, though? Never. Like I said, too professional for that. Expect Hamill to do that in a year, uhm... month or so. He’s certainly getting there.

Ridley is too young and naive to think that she, as an actress, should always get what she wants from her character. Sometimes someone with higher power will have more specific vision and she’ll just have to do her job and bite it.

But again, watch the documentaries, see her tears of joy when Rian hugs her or tells her, in multiple occasions, how good she was. Not to mention how her and Driver did a six months training for the throne room scene. I’m sure a lot of the hard work and prep was due to Rian wanting them to be their absolute best. I can totally imagine JJ being a person who’d cut the actors some slack because that’s what he is, a good guy.

What’s more important, being a good guy that listens to everybody, then himself, or a dictator who actually knows what he wants? And let’s not get into ‘but he didn’t always know what he wants’, cause it’s Star Wars. And we all know Star Wars ain’t just movie. It’s a huge fucking machine that can eat you whole and spit you out. Daisy is now more mature and probably discovered plenty of ugly sides of the business too, she’s becoming more sarcastic, cynical... as did Fisher and Co. That’s perfectly normal too.

Allstar wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 11:10 pm
lol Bacon... the interview you posted she said "the rest of the film is fantastic" she was just being critical of her own personal work. Once again she did not bash Rian at all.
She's not in a position where she can be as open as Clarke can considering the problematic film being released is by the director she'd be bashing. It'd certainly get Disney on her tail (just like how they got on Hamill's tail, leading him to come out and apologize for the comments later). How long until Hamill speaks out clearly now that his future involvement in the franchise is questionable? None of the cast members of any film were this obvious with mixed feelings on any previous two films in the franchise so far including Rogue One which had significant production issues and some mixed responses from fans.

She's obviously got problems with the film, where the characters go, etc. and she is trying to maintain a professional outlook on things for the public because she knows it's doing well and has it's fans. Sometimes an immediate response like that tells more than a follow-up statement later on with a generic sentence.

Clarke coming out and saying Howard "saved the film" is hardly controversial in this moment and only acts as something to build up the release. It's not some huge deal, even if you're trying to make it into one for your own ego (which I only say because you consistently post about how you're "right" as you just went out of your way to edit your post to say). For someone that often debates the legitimacy of early reactions and generic social media responses, you're not really reading behind any lines here whatsoever.

i dunno why you guys talk to allstar about stuff he should be talking about with a therapist

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 11:26 pm
i dunno why you guys talk to allstar about stuff he should be talking about with a therapist

-Vader
Bacon just can’t get enough of it I guess. Personally, I’m talking to Magnar.

Just wanted to add this and then I’ll stay on topic. Rian has two modes, they say in the docus: girlish giggle when he sees something that he likes and ‘mhm’ when he’s worried. He’s admittedly tough guy to like but you can also see him on plenty occassions looking like a goddamned zombie on set (think Jackson on Kong) and doing his absolute best to prioritize film in front of everything else, think big picture on this gigantic 100+ days shooting production that is pretty much relentless. Closest to him seems to have been Rose actress.

Someone should’ve told him though, Rose just ain’t that special, man.

On topic: seeing this in around two weeks and don’t even care right now...lol.