Bond 26 (TBA)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I think the Craig era does a great job modernizing Bond, because while the Connery era framed these things as "cool", the Craig era reveals the insecurity, fear, and misogyny behind it.

I mean the study on Bond as a broken alcoholic in Skyfall is perhaps the best indicator of how much the recent flicks are sort of commentary or even satire on the 60s films.

It's basically telling the audience that "yea this stuff looks cool, but its born out of a lot if bad shit".

Of course Spectre sort of ignores that and decides to just be a bad film but whatever

Allstar wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 2:22 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 1:22 pm
Given that James Bond is such a massive chauvinistic douchebag, I never got the appeal of the character tbh.
You don’t get the appeal of flawed characters? Of antiheroes? And this is a guy who only loves Game of Thrones. LMAO
Game of Thrones does not look at the awful behaviour of its characters and goes 'isn't that awesome?' For a long time the James Bond films felt like they were not aware of (or just didn't care) how terrible the main character behaved towards women in particular. And the framing of those films always presented Bond as this cool guy who never had to deal with any of the consequences of his actions towards these women. Game of Thrones comments on misogyny, James Bond films at least for a very long time represented deeply sexist attitudes.

Batfan175 wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 3:02 pm
Allstar wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 1:22 pm
Given that James Bond is such a massive chauvinistic douchebag, I never got the appeal of the character tbh.
You don’t get the appeal of flawed characters? Of antiheroes? And this is a guy who only loves Game of Thrones. LMAO
Game of Thrones does not look at the awful behaviour of its characters and goes 'isn't that awesome?' For a long time the James Bond films felt like they were not aware of (or just didn't care) how terrible the main character behaved towards women in particular. And the framing of those films always presented Bond as this cool guy who never had to deal with any of the consequences of his actions towards these women. Game of Thrones comments on misogyny, James Bond films for a long time represented sexist attitudes.
GRRM did not do that but Benioff and Weiss do. They’ve been on record calling Tywin “a badass”. Also as Cilogy stated the new films don’t do that really.

Allstar wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 3:06 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 3:02 pm
Allstar wrote:

Game of Thrones does not look at the awful behaviour of its characters and goes 'isn't that awesome?' For a long time the James Bond films felt like they were not aware of (or just didn't care) how terrible the main character behaved towards women in particular. And the framing of those films always presented Bond as this cool guy who never had to deal with any of the consequences of his actions towards these women. Game of Thrones comments on misogyny, James Bond films for a long time represented sexist attitudes.
GRRM did not do that but Benioff and Weiss do. They’ve been on record calling Tywin “a badass”. Also as Cilogy stated the new films don’t do that really.
So I take it you have not seen Spectre then? Pretty sure Game of Thrones frames Tywin's actions as bad for all other characters by the way.

I feel though Bond is still perceived as "cool" and a "womanizer" by casual audiences and often media. Just look at all the fuss that's being made about "the new Bond girl" when a new movie rolls around. Which is what they want from Bond I suppose. They don't want a deconstructed antihero or a broken alcoholic, they just want him to be a badass, snacking women left and right. Except when it gets too rapey like in the last two films, which general audiences find weird, because that doesn't fit their image of the character. So in this image lies the conflict between Bond as a hero being supposed to "respec wahmen" and yet to be kinda dominant and superficial with his relationships. Not saying everyone sees it like that (duh), but that's the general impression I get.

Pratham wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 11:47 am
i don't see it i don't feel it i'm paraplegic
I don't see it either. Also, he's already going grey? Shiit

Pratham wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 11:47 am
i don't see it i don't feel it i'm paraplegic
i 'like' this post

Unless it's actually announced by EON, I'm not buying into any report about anybody being up for James Bond. Craig hasn't even start filming Bond 25, why would EON be looking for a replacement this soon?

Batfan175 wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm
So I take it you have not seen Spectre then?
I don't think Broccoli and Wilson even saw Spectre lol