Isle of Dogs (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:
March 16th, 2018, 7:23 pm
everyone put down your star wars and go watch this movie when it comes out
Did you see it...?! :eh:

he didnt he's just saying it's clearly going to be worth your time

I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say that if this film turns out to be an exceptional animated feature, whatever Disney animated film comes out this year will get next year's Oscar instead of this.

Bacon wrote:
March 16th, 2018, 7:36 pm
Cilogy wrote:
March 16th, 2018, 7:23 pm
everyone put down your star wars and go watch this movie when it comes out
Did you see it...?! :eh:
In a way, Bacon, part of me already has.

LOVED this. absolutely pitch-perfect stuff with a surprising amount of bite (ahem) - hence the PG13.

One sequence was a bit chilling to watch given a real life thing close to home which happened 48 hours prior... and seeing RP1 a few days before is interesting comparison. Spielberg & Anderson putting their spins on family material - former fully indulges in the world like a big kid, latter adds a perfectly notched amount of bite to it.

While Fantastic Mr. Fox was based on pre-existing written material, Isle of Dogs is a completely original story from the mind of Anderson and it honestly might be his best-crafted work (figuratively and literally) since his previous film. I would’ve said “since Rushmore” but The Grand Budapest Hotel was a terrific story with great performances and memorable characters. Anderson is currently on a streak where he has given up writing cartoonish characters for the sake of prioritizing style over substance, and now focuses on writing more intricate stories. As much as I love and appreciate most of Anderson’s previous work, Isle of Dogs is the most unpredictably elaborate and developed story Anderson has written to date.

Isle Of Dogs maintains Wes Anderson's winning streak of delightful and poignant storytelling by being his most thoughtfully charming one to date.

Here's my 4 star review of Isle of Dogs:

https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//is ... ogs-review

Wow... Well, I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure when I do I will disagree with that article wholeheartedly

Leonardo Faierman asks, “Is it not bad enough that a white American filmmaker is utilizing the language and visual qualities of another culture, but simultaneously distancing them from the viewer through some arbitrary mechanism we’re meant to applaud?”
then

why make films

why do anything

that's like cinematic apartheid