Captain Marvel (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon, Endgame is obviously designed to be epic swan song for the original Avengers. each of whom, I am positive, will play a vital role in defeating Thanos.

Cap Marvel will likely be key in that, while seguing into the next "phase" of the Avengers with her as the lead.

if you're going to indulge in conjecture, this is (by far) the most reasonable option. There's nothing more "ballsy" about that than most other Marvel decisions.

Captain Marvel is crazy powerful, from Earth, her suit has a similar graphic color scheme, and "MARVEL" is in her god damn name. Of course she's the new leader.

-Vader

1. Captain Marvel will be the leader of the Avengers in the next one, not Endgame, which is like three years from now I expect, when we already had another Captain Marvel film.

2. Captain Marvel has been a leader in the comics as well.

3. First Avenger came out 10 months before the The Avengers. I guess a few more months without any other Marvel film in between makes all the difference?

4. It is not that ballsy when this film is on its way to become the 7th highest grossing MCU film after the three Avengers film, Iron Man Three, Black Panther and Civil War with terrific audience reception. No solo Thor or Cap or Spidey film or any of the Guardians flicks has ever reached a billion and this one is doing it.£

i want to ask even more important question

where is goose now?

I hope he wasn't dusted and we'll get a Goose and Rocket scene in the film

Watched this film today. It's got lots of problems but the only major difference between this and most other Marvel films is that the main performance is much blander and hence unable to conceal how empty and formulaic of an experience these films often are from a filmmaking perspective. It does not help that the film's structure often stands in the way of the character going through a proper arc as well. Nick Fury and Captain Marvel have some chemistry and I chuckled on occasion. I did not find the film awful but it is definitely one of the more forgettable entries in the MCU. I liked what they decided to do with the Skrulls in this though. However, some of the song choices are cringeworthy on occasion, especially when the songs play during action sequences. I did not live in the US in the 90s so I am sure that loads of 90s references flew past me.
Overall, it sits right in the middle for me in terms of quality. You'd think that Disney/Marvel would be able to make its first film featuring a female superhero as the main character something unique and special and it's a shame that this is just not the case here.

6/10

£

Not surprised in the slightest that this made a billion. Didn't expect that, but not surprised. The days when making a billion was something that was hard to pull off are no longer here. It took thirty years for comic book movies to achieve that. After The Dark Knight, that became a given. Especially if you consider that Captain Marvel had a completely clean month, with no competition, from the time of its worldwide release, and it was being heavily advertised as being part of the two biggest movies of this decade. It's always hilarious to me when some people act like Captain Marvel outgrossing Wonder Woman is some goddamn achievement. Wonder Woman was a follow-up to the critically panned Batman v Superman, it starred an unproven actress, and was put in the middle of a summer, where it had couple of big movies playing to its side at the same time.

The power of the MCU/Disney brand is strong enough to get any of these movies to make hundreds of millions. It's not a terrible film but it ain't great either.

Might actually surpass Civil War and this was a March release.

£

Wow, these boxoffice results really show people at large are really repulsed by Larson!

Skyab sinks.