Captain Marvel (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I have to be honest, I didn't hate this... at all. I actually enjoyed it.

I liked how in medias res it started, how we didn't spend much time with her background, how this woman was quite developed in a way from the get-go. I mean I really believed that she was... there and she was part of this group, and... I don't know, I just felt that Marvel (the studio) didn't think of viewers as totally stupid. Compared to Wonder Woman, I was surprised by how much it didn't glorify its heroine from start to finish, at least this is how I saw it.

All these characters, incuding Vers just felt like normal characters, and I really liked this feeling. No one stood out in a very obvious, on the nose manner. They really introduced us to this world very quickly. And you know what, the motivations, the whole setup for the story didn't feel forced at all. I might need to give it another watch, but a few hours after I saw it I feel that it was all quite elegantly done. It felt like almost everyone in this film had a proper motivation behind their actions, which is, I must say, really rare in summer blockbusters... and MCU films in general.

It just didn't feel forced, even though it is, as a fact, a forced project - forced into MCU, this late in the game, you know what I mean. But as I was watching it, it felt... genuine. Quite surprisingly.

One of the reasons I enjoyed it is that I honestly didn't know what was going to happen to any of the characters in any scene. I never knew where any of the scenes were leading, so every next scene, location or situation was interesting to watch unfold. And even the villain, the final fight, the final act didn't feel rushed for me.

I might be overanalyzing it - actually, I'm not. I'm genuinly writing down how I felt, and am feeling at the moment. But I felt I needed to write all this down because even I was almost convinced not to watch this, based on reviews calling it mediocre at best.

I mean context is important with MCU films. I didn't like EVERYTHING about it, it had its usual summer blockbuster dumb moments, I felt some elements in the film served as deus ex machinas (even the cat sometimes), I felt that the whole '90s vibe was too much, with forced pop cultural reference shoved down your throat every minute. I didn't always like the film's humor. I even felt that some aspects of heroism, especially concerning women and what kind of example this movie would like to be to young girls and women was a bit too much on the nose. But these didn't hurt my overall feeling of... being entertained. And I liked Larson as well.

I might be defining 'entertainment' in a different way than most people would, regarding MCU. Or even DC. To me, this was more entertaining than any of the GotG films, or Wonder Woman, or... dare I say it... no, I shouldn't. Not yet. But, anyway, case in point: I liked it.

I didn't care all that much for it. It's a semi-decent superhero film and nothing beyond that.

However, I do get some satisfaction from the movie performing so well at the box office. It's not that it's just about this being a woman, which is already too late for that to be a thing that's important. But that all these trolls online learned that they have so much less influence than they think they have.

Not the worst movie ever made, as some sections of internet fandom would leave you to believe, but it was pretty bland for a superhero flick.

LelekPL wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 3:48 am
But that all these trolls online learned that they have so much less influence than they think they have.
Excuiiise me, but didn't you hear it? Nobody ever went to the theaters to see it, it's a hoax. They were empty. Disney paid themselves those 750 millions! Captain Marvel was destroyed!

I said this on Twitter, but if people really think Disney is lying about Captain Marvel's earnings, they can report it to the SEC.

BREAKING: Disney to close down amidst accusations of financial fraud thanks to conducted joint Youtuber and incel investigation! Captain Marvel sequel cancelled after Brie Larson was found out to have been the main culprit. Close sources reveal her intentions to use said money for a white male genocide!

You have to give them credit though. Feige announced a couple of days ago that Cap Marvel will be the leader of the Avengers. They don't even mind that the film is flopping hard, and how such a decision will affect the future of their shared universe. They are prepared to destroy the whole empire if need be.

Pity Disney didn't know this box office trick when Solo was bombing hard. They could have saved a lot of prestige for Star Wars franchise as well.£

Putting that much weight behind a character that many consider to be the weakest part of their respective movie is honestly ballsy though, regardless of the box office.

Bacon wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 1:31 pm
Putting that much weight behind a character that many consider to be the weakest part of their respective movie is honestly ballsy though, regardless of the box office.
these decisions are made way before these movies come out, so no.

-Vader

Sure, I get that, but it's very interesting to see them throw their eggs all in without knowing the reaction would be. It's a ballsy move to pass the team to an relatively unknown character (at least until recently) rather than passing it to an already established character in canon. Really excited to see what the Russos do with her as they have great skills at bringing the most out of characters even with little screentime.