Captain Marvel (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
What about the pro-military propaganda that is seemingly under the surface of this film?

ArmandFancypants wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Vader182 wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 5:28 am
i'm surprised you say she doesn't develop since it mirrors Cap's arc in First Avenger pretty literally, which you love (I do not)

-Vader
Cap has an ethical standpoint that the development of superpowers allows him to act on. He is a fixed point but his ability to affect change is not.

Carol is gifted with immense power from the start. Since that's the case you have to make the discovery interesting and complex, which the script fails to do.
sorta
cap marvel does a thing where as a person she begins with no powers, constantly fails, gets limited powers (where she is at the start of the movie) and we see her slowly get more and more in control of them. So its an identical arc in a linear sense, we just happen to (awkardly?) enter the movie at the mid-point of that arc.

Here, though, it's more of a self-actualization of uniting her "current self" and her "past self," which frankly I thought was sort of interesting since "Captain Marvel" is now neither who she was in the past or who she was at the start of the movie, not only her identity but her consciousness is an amalgam of the two.
don't get me wrong the execution is far from ideal but there is a big parallel here

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 4:07 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Vader182 wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 5:28 am
i'm surprised you say she doesn't develop since it mirrors Cap's arc in First Avenger pretty literally, which you love (I do not)

-Vader
Cap has an ethical standpoint that the development of superpowers allows him to act on. He is a fixed point but his ability to affect change is not.

Carol is gifted with immense power from the start. Since that's the case you have to make the discovery interesting and complex, which the script fails to do.
sorta
cap marvel does a thing where as a person she begins with no powers, constantly fails, gets limited powers (where she is at the start of the movie) and we see her slowly get more and more in control of them. So its an identical arc in a linear sense, we just happen to (awkardly?) enter the movie at the mid-point of that arc.

Here, though, it's more of a self-actualization of uniting her "current self" and her "past self," which frankly I thought was sort of interesting since "Captain Marvel" is now neither who she was in the past or who she was at the start of the movie, not only her identity but her consciousness is an amalgam of the two.
don't get me wrong the execution is far from ideal but there is a big parallel here

-Vader
I could pull both films apart but basically my feeling is the Sam Elliott spiel from the end of A Star is Born - it's how the notes are played. Johnston's film has a strong sense of genre and culminates in a thematically resonant decision from the central character, i.e. he chooses to make the ultimate sacrifice. Captain Marvel is actually close to Thor in its resolution I feel (dual, escalating threats, tapping into a higher plane of power and reconciling self-worth/persona), but
it lacks the vital drama of Thor vs. Loki. Jude Law's character is critically under-served by the script. Needed to be in it more and an actual active character to be effective as a villain.

Watching this on Friday.

Watching this soon.

But in the meantime, I would like to frame pages 42 - 49 of this thread and sell printed copies of it back to all of you at a ridiculous markup.

Stan Lee Cameo Spoiler. Check it out if you've already seen the movie, it's really sweet.

Forum Pro
Law
Brie Larson went to MY GOD DAMN MOVIE THEATER last weekend on the one MOTHERFUCKING day I decided to not see a movie there

Cilogy wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 2:28 pm
Watching this soon.

But in the meantime, I would like to frame pages 42 - 49 of this thread and sell printed copies of it back to all of you at a ridiculous markup.
will you call it 'marvelous discourse of american politics'?

I liked this movie. I'm surprised. Very.

£