Captain Marvel (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 11:25 am
there are over 327 million people in the united states alone. if you think there aren’t enough people of color or women applying for x job so that job happens to be mostly full of white men, then i don’t even know what to tell you.
M4...no of course not, I don't think the movie should be boycotted or voted down on-line. Once again, I was just explaining the thought process of people who are doing so.

To Ruth...how do you think they would explain that women only make up 1% of construction workers? What about that 90% of nurses are female. Is there a discrimination against males in that industry? 77% of teachers are female. How does one explain that?

I can tell you how...individual choices, not discrmination.

Yikes.

If your masculinity is so brittle that some stranger(!) on the Internet (!) can make it shatter, by calling out inequality no less, you’ve got major problems.

If nothing else this is outing people who think some bad shit.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 11:34 am
Yikes.

If your masculinity is so brittle that some stranger(!) on the Internet (!) can make it shatter, by calling out inequality no less, you’ve got major problems.

-Vader
Are you referring to me? I simply gave a rebuttal for why these people who are boycotting are doing so. I don't personally feel this way toward the film. I'm going to see it this weekend.

But if you would like to debate the merits of the entire white males are the problem and are the cause of the lack of representation of people of color and women in various sectors of the economy, then I'm ready to hear your arguments. Love to hear your expalanation as to how discrmination is responsible for the 1% of females who represent construction workers. 90% of females are nurses. 77% of teachers are female. Explain the inequities in these fields.

Skyab23 wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 11:28 am
I strongly recommend that you visit your local library to learn more about the social sciences, particularly in regards to race and gender.

taopaipai wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 11:38 am
Skyab23 wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 11:28 am
I strongly recommend that you visit your local library to learn more about the social sciences, particularly in regards to race and gender.
If you or anyone else can actually respond to my questions about the construction, nursing and teaching industries, that would be great. Waiting for a valid explanation on why these industries have disparities.

I wouldn't be surprised if the online drama generated by this movie turns out to be more entertaining than the movie itself. 🍿🍿🍿omnomnomnom🍿🍿🍿

Honestly I don’t care about your statistics for construction workers, teachers and nurses. Of course construction workers statistically are going to be male. And OF COURSE teaching and nursing positions are stereotypically seen as women jobs, that isn’t because it happened to be so by choice. Those were one of the very few jobs that were historically seen as “appropriate” jobs for women when they finally were able to work. Of course the effect of that is still very visible today.

I don’t know if you’re genuinely so very confused by this or willingly ignoring the obvious, but nobody really owes you an explanation here. The tools are in front of you - internet. Or you can go to a library. Educate yourself.

Yeah, see, this is the kind of thing that deserves to have a heated discussion. Of course there's a system in place preventing women and people of color from being more prevalent in film.

Ruth wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 11:45 am
Honestly I don’t care about your statistics for construction workers, teachers and nurses. Of course construction workers statistically are going to be male. And OF COURSE teaching and nursing positions are stereotypically seen as women jobs, that isn’t because it happened to be so by choice. Those were one of the very few jobs that were historically seen as “appropriate” jobs for women when they finally were able to work. Of course the effect of that is still very visible today.

I don’t know if you’re genuinely so very confused by this or willingly ignoring the obvious, but nobody really owes you an explanation here. The tools are in front of you - internet. Or you can go to a library. Educate yourself.
Ruth, you resorted to simply telling me to go read a book and educate myself instead of debating the merits. When people feel like their own preconceived notions are more important than facts, we have fallen very far in society.

I can name you many, many jobs in which women dominant their fields, and it has nothing to do with what was deemed appropriate for them 4-5 decades ago. Women are now graduating at a much higher percentage than men with bachelor's degrees. There must be some sort of discrimination at play, no?

The NBA is 75% black males. Why is there no discrimination against black males in the NBA, or in the NFL, and yet you firmly believe that there are prejudices keeping them and women at bay in other industries?

If you deem it discrimination and prejudice when it conveniently fits your own narrative, that is when you should reevaluate what you consider the "facts."

I challenge anyone on these forums to explain to me why businesses only care about having the best employees when it comes to sports but not other industries? How can 75% of the players in a sport be black males and be perceived as being the best employees for that job, and yet in other industries, let's say, as a film critic, they are only 2%. Why the disparity?
Last edited by Skyab23 on March 8th, 2019, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

lol, Skyab always comes out of the woodwork once in a while to reveal who he is.

I bet he’s a Trump apologist/sympathizer.