Annihilation (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 3:22 pm
The more I think about this movie the more disappointed I feel.

The book was really good and it had a creepy atmosphere to it and I loved that it didn't explain everything to you.

The movie is the total opposite of what the book was.
This movie still leaves a lot of questions open and I felt confused and horrified through the entire second half.

So what do people who have not read the book think about this movie?

It's out on Netflix tomorrow, I'll let you know then.

Batfan175 wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 5:51 pm
I loved it, but it's also right up my alley of stuff I like. It definitely still has flaws.

Bacon wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 6:32 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 5:51 pm
I loved it, but it's also right up my alley of stuff I like. It definitely still has flaws.
same

-Vader

I'm still glad that people who didn't read the book enjoyed the film! I genuinely enjoyed reading the past few pages of conversation and analysis. Very enlightening for sure and it gave me a new appreciation for the film. So thank you guys for that! :gonf:

Artemis wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 8:59 pm
I'm still glad that people who didn't read the book enjoyed the film! I genuinely enjoyed reading the past few pages of conversation and analysis. Very enlightening for sure and it gave me a new appreciation for the film. So thank you guys for that! :gonf:
What about it felt like it was too hand-hold-y for you? Genuinely curious.

Bacon wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 9:04 pm
Artemis wrote:
The beginning where they showed how Area X came about. In the book, that explanation is not given at all (I assume it will be given in the next two books. I gotta start reading them soon). The film also gives a lot of exposition whereas the book keeps everything shrouded in mystery. In the book, character motivations are not explained as well so you're just depending on an unreliable narrator.

Loved the visuals in the Shimmer and the ending especially. Score was also great.

Artemis wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Bacon wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 9:04 pm
Artemis wrote:
The beginning where they showed how Area X came about. In the book, that explanation is not given at all (I assume it will be given in the next two books. I gotta start reading them soon). The film also gives a lot of exposition whereas the book keeps everything shrouded in mystery. In the book, character motivations are not explained as well so you're just depending on an unreliable narrator.
Yeah, that I totally agree with. They kept saying "is it alien or is it ____" and I was like "it came from outer space....of course it's alien." I would've loved for them to get to the lighthouse and then it showed the crater/point of impact (or if it showed the meteor hitting in Lena's vision she has).