Annihilation (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 3:16 am
m4st4 wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 3:06 am
Fucking spoilers.
anything that's not in tags is literally in the first few minutes of the movie, don't sweat it

-Vader
That’s cool. :thumbup:

He supervised the edit...how the hell is that directing?

I got a question for those who have seen it. I think I missed something.

Why is Isaac happy during these scene? It's implied he truly loses it later on in the film when he commits suicide, but in this part all of the soldiers seem content and even joyful by doing this and I'm confused as to why. Had they all gone fully insane at this point? It's mentioned, but I expected it to not be the case and for that scene to be better explained.

Bacon wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 5:01 pm
I got a question for those who have seen it. I think I missed something.

Why is Isaac happy during these scene? It's implied he truly loses it later on in the film when he commits suicide, but in this part all of the soldiers seem content and even joyful by doing this and I'm confused as to why. Had they all gone fully insane at this point? It's mentioned, but I expected it to not be the case and for that scene to be better explained.
My guess would be that they had probably been in The Shimmer for a while and it was probably starting to affect their mental state where they thought it was amusing. I mean he just cut the guys stomach open with no hesitation so they probably weren't all there and were amazed by the setting they were in.

When is this coming, March 12 or?

It's too bad that the studio didn't have enough faith in the film to release it in cinemas in Asian or European countries.

For all the talk about how we need more roles and more diverse and varied roles for women in films and how we want smarter entertainment, it's sad that this will probably not have been seen by enough people to have a lasting impact in the popular culture.

Contrary to the Descent, which a lot of people know, I don't think enough people will remember this film, even though they should. Makes me think that the only place people want to see diversity is in big stupid blockbusters and the rest of the time everybody's just asleep at the wheel when it comes to drawing people's attention to multicultural and challenging work that is of a smaller scale.

The more I think about this movie the more disappointed I feel.

The book was really good and it had a creepy atmosphere to it and I loved that it didn't explain everything to you.

The movie is the total opposite of what the book was.

The book was unadaptable in a lot ways and much less commercially viable in its form. The characters didn't even have names, they had job titles.

MagnarTheGreat wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 4:22 pm
The book was unadaptable in a lot ways and much less commercially viable in its form. The characters didn't even have names, they had job titles.
I get what you mean. But at the same time, it doesn't mean that the movie has to spoon feed everything to the viewer.

I think they could have kept the essence of the book without dumbing it down.