Mulan (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 10:24 pm
Maybe lukewarm opinion idk: I like that there won't be songs or Mushu in the movie. This tells me this will not be a shot by shot remake. The only live action remake I have seen was Beauty and the Beast and I turned it off after 30 minutes because it was a shot by shot remake and it was boring.

I hope this telling of Mulan will be interesting and have something new to offer. If it doesn't end up being that, then I have the animated version and I can also watch the Chinese versions of the story too.
They also took away most of the songs in Cinderella, except the one of the godmother, if I remember correctly... And in Aladdin, the best scene was the new song.

Artemis wrote:
Maybe lukewarm opinion idk: I like that there won't be songs or Mushu in the movie. This tells me this will not be a shot by shot remake. The only live action remake I have seen was Beauty and the Beast and I turned it off after 30 minutes because it was a shot by shot remake and it was boring.

I hope this telling of Mulan will be interesting and have something new to offer. If it doesn't end up being that, then I have the animated version and I can also watch the Chinese versions of the story too.
Maybe if B&B were shot by shot I wouldn’t dislike it as much as I do.

But yeah, I don’t believe that these adaptations should be one thing or the other, and none of the adaptations so far were really shot-by-shot. New Lion King is half and hour longer.

The point is, these things need to, in my opinion, a) definitely hold ground when it comes to certain aspects of the story that make them unique to Disney and b) still feel like they’re bringing something new to the table and feel like actual movies instead of pretty but ultimately bland dioramas.

Cinderella did it wonderfully.
Jungle Book was solid in my opinion.
Aladdin did good, for the most part. Certainly needed more of that uniqueness but they did a good job with Jasmine.
B&B was atrocious, certainly a lesser product in almost every aspect.
Maleficent was a magnificent b.o. experiment for Disney (which is why we’re getting that sequel) but I still don’t understand the appeal.

Now this... I love the tone and the grandeur, but needs more of that point a) in my book to feel like the Mulan we all know and love. Songs and Mushu are part of its identity, otherwise I might as well watch some quality wuxia, and in mandarin, instead.

Demoph wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 7:52 am
Artemis wrote:

They also took away most of the songs in Cinderella, except the one of the godmother, if I remember correctly... And in Aladdin, the best scene was the new song.
I really like the cast in the Cinderella remake so I'll give it a go one of these days.

It's really their best yet, their second best being Pete's Dragon. Not really a big fan of Jungle. It didn't stick with me at all.

Don't expect Mushu and some of the stuff from the animation to make an appearance in the live version. Some of the jokes and stuff from the animation were distasteful/disrespectful to the Chinese audiences and I'm pretty sure it also got lost in translation. The Phoenix as the replacement for Mushu is just fine. The songs will probably be instrumental and I'm pretty sure they will work some of the song lyrics into the dialogues just like "I'll bring honor to us all". Seems like they have given themselves a year to reshoot and fix some stuff if needed. My problem with this movie is that it is an all Chinese casts taking place in a historic setting but with them speaking in english language. Will that turn a lot of Chinese audiences off? I mean imagine watching The Avengers with all of them speaking in Chinese and we have to read the subtitles.

Bacon wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 6:31 pm
Holy cow, why would she do that? I get sick of these "boycotts" a lot of the time but imagine having the gall to be this deliberately insensitive toward what's going on.
Indoctrination? Or perhaps worse, someone close to her is part of HK police dep. Who knows. A shitty thing to say publicly for sure though.

But if I boycott this, I’ll boycott it for different reasons - sick and tired of Disney adaptations

What the flying fuck? Is she that fucking stupid or that she just saw only the video of the cops being beaten up and voicing her opinion without seeing the other side of the police and mainland citizens brutality against the Hong Kong citizens? I shouldn't be surprised since Jackie Chan seems like a cool dude but he's a China bitch and an asshole when it comes to Chinese political view since some of these harsh political stance doesn't affect him.