Mulan (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Oh, you think if you post the same meaningless thing twice, it might become worth responding to, huh? Interesting mindset. Keep it up, who knows, maybe it works out for you in the end.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 12:54 pm
Oh, you think if you post the same meaningless thing twice, it might become worth responding to, huh? Interesting mindset. Keep it up, who knows, maybe it works out for you in the end.
Remember when the US government drained an entire sea, destroying its ecosystem and turning the surrounding region into a desert?

But...like Virgo, can you link the source to that reporter thing and just end it already?

No reporter was murdered. The “tweet” (posted on Weibo, Mainland China’s equivalent of Twitter, so let’s call it a tweet) expressing support for the Hong Kong Police Force was part of a trend of Mainland celebrities posting the same hashtag, after a group of protestors beat up a man at the Hong Kong Airport. Mainland celebrities have long felt party pressure to express pro-party stances. This incident occurred in mid-August, during the most heated night of the airport protests. The man initially refused to disclose his identity, and later was discovered by the protestors as a reporter for Global Times, a state-backed newspaper with unanimously radical pro-government views (think Breitbart in the US). Obviously that doesn’t make beating him up justifiable but the context is worth considering here. Following that day, protestors reacted in various ways, with some choosing to apologize publicly online for the previous day’s actions.

Even if beating up the journalist (and other more radical/violent/extremist ways of protesting) crosses one’s line, explicitly stating one’s support of the Hong Kong Police Force is an inarguably horrible act. This is an unchecked, military-grade police force that has been brutally gassing, shooting, beating, and allegedly murdering and raping protestors for half a year now. Whether a consumer decides to “punish” Liu/the movie/Disney/the Communist Party by boycotting the film or not is entirely up to them, but I know for certain I will not be paying to see this film, regardless of the film’s (dubious) representations of Asians on Hollywood screens. And that’s not even taking my stance on Disney and its remakes into account.

Forum Pro
Law
So about that trailer amiright

The last few pages are prolly the kinda thing that inspired Kubrick to make the beginning of 2001 the way it was

The story starts with
soldiers ordered by the government forcing an old man to go to war because he doesn't have any son. The daughter decides to pretend that she's his son instead because she knows her father will die in battle if he goes
I dare you to give me one example of pro-establishment propaganda that depicts the government as so cruel and heartless. Go ahead.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 8:01 pm
The story starts with
soldiers ordered by the government forcing an old man to go to war because he doesn't have any son. The daughter decides to pretend that she's his son instead because she knows her father will die in battle if he goes
I dare you to give me one example of pro-establishment propaganda that depicts the government as so cruel and heartless. Go ahead.
Yeah the freaking Chinese Empire from like a thousand years ago, not the People’s Republic of China.

You’re saying they’re going to make an allegorical connexion? Mulan: written by Dalton Trumbo.

You're getting close but still not there