Best Films of the Decade (2010-2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
- Inception
- The Social Network
- American Hustle
- A Separation
- Winter's Bone
- Midnight In Paris
- Ida
- The Artist
- Moonrise Kingdom
- Stories We Tell
- Take Shelter
- The Wind Rises
- True Grit
- The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya
- Nightcrawler
- 12 Years A Slave
- Nebraska
- Big Men
- Wadjda
- The Dark Knight Rises

My favorites:

1. The Tree of Life (By a considerable distance)

2. Gravity
3. Boyhood
4. Inception
5. Foxcatcher
6. The Place Beyond the Pines
7. The Social Network
8. Lincoln
9. Before Midnight
10. The Wolf of Wall Street
11. Toy Story 3
12. Drive
13. The Dark Knight Rises
14. Leviathan
15. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
16. Black Swan
17. Her
18. Birdman
19. To the Wonder
20. Interstellar

Life of Pi- beautiful cinematography but I'm not seeing why the book was so popular and subsequently the film adaptation. Personally I found it to be only slightly more compelling than Cast Away and they muffed up the religious theme with some absurd plot/dialogue choices towards the end of the tale. :facepalm:

Prisoners- Interesting for its moral implications and I was kept mostly engaged, but ultimately the story wore thin and there are too many contrivances to justify a two and a half hour film. So in this regard it doesn't really hold a candle to Fincher's thrillers, though Gyllenhall is not as flat here as he is in Zodiac

P.S.

Now with less than 20 often mentioned titles from this decade left to watch I'm still left unimpressed :P

In other words none of the films I have caught up on over the past week or so since first posting in this thread have managed to supplant my selections and I'm not sure any even deserve honorable mention.

"Gyllenhaal is not as flat here"..seriously dude, you just sound like you're walking into these "new" films with some of your mind already made up. You're coming on here with an attitude of "nothing is going to be good, well, i dont think they're gonna be that great since the best of cinema is behind us". It feels like you're looking extra hard to nitpick each film now. I do agree with some of your recent criticisms, don't get me wrong, but little things like the Jake comment made me roll my eyes.

shauner111 wrote:"Gyllenhaal is not as flat here"..seriously dude, you just sound like you're walking into these "new" films with some of your mind already made up. You're coming on here with an attitude of "nothing is going to be good, well, i dont think they're gonna be that great since the best of cinema is behind us". It feels like you're looking extra hard to nitpick each film now. I do agree with some of your recent criticisms, don't get me wrong, but little things like the Jake comment made me roll my eyes.
The Jake comment is referencing my opinion towards his acting in David Fincher's 2007 thriller Zodiac...
Zodiac-

Great movie. I basically knew nothing of the Zodiac killer beforehand but it seems like one of the most mind-boggling mysteries...it is no wonder the case was never solved. It's quite engrossing...loses a bit of steam somewhere in the middle, but it picks up again. The story takes things to the extreme a bit (ie the cartoonist's obsession) but that's Hollywood for ya Also leaves a lot of un-answered questions but I think this was the intent. If there's anything really lacking I'd say it's the acting. Robert Downey Jr. isn't in it enough and I dunno, Mark Ruffalo and Jake Gyllenhaal just seemed a bit flat or something. From a technical standpoint I think it's great- well shot, well edited, etc.

Acting- 7
Script- 9
Visuals- 9.5
Sound- 9.5
Editing- 9

Total Score = 88%
http://lumos.cosforums.com/showpost.php ... tcount=538
However don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Jake as an actor in many other films; Source Code, Love and Other Drugs, Brothers, Brokeback Mountain, and his career defining performance in Donnie Darko. :)

Not as flat would mean that you think he's flat in Prisoners, just not as flat as he was in Zodiac.

Nightcrawler is the best performance of his career.

shauner111 wrote: Nightcrawler is the best performance of his career.
I just watched it actually and in some ways I agree, but the film is way too ****ed up to recommend...

Now I fully understand the social commentary they aim for, especially having taken an "Understanding Media" course in college, but the film is utterly repulsive and I'm sickened to see it on many Top 10 lists. I watched to the end only to see the bastard put behind bars or receive some retribution, but alas... :evil:

You have really weird criticisms. Nightcrawler being repulsive? THAT WAS THE POINT OF THE FILM. Just because he isn't behind bars doesn't mean he isn't the "bad guy" in the film.

lcbaseball22 wrote:
shauner111 wrote: Nightcrawler is the best performance of his career.
I just watched it actually and in some ways I agree, but the film is way too ****ed up to recommend...

Now I fully understand the social commentary they aim for, especially having taken an "Understanding Media" course in college, but the film is utterly repulsive and I'm sickened to see it on many Top 10 lists. I watched to the end only to see the bastard put behind bars or receive some retribution, but alas... :evil:
That was the point. It's fucked up, but not as fucked up as you think. Certain businesses are cut-throat and so are people. Never under-estimate a strangers ability to cross the line or fuck people over for their own personal gain. To me Lou Bloom had a screwed up past that made him this way, no doubt about it, and i love that we don't know about it and he ends up succeeding. Karma will get him in the end. It always does.

Nightcrawler was in my top 5 from last year. Fantastic performance from Gyllenhaal and i love leaving a theater thinking hard about the main character or film.

shauner111 wrote:That was the point. It's fucked up, but not as fucked up as you think. Certain businesses are cut-throat and so are people. Never under-estimate a strangers ability to cross the line or fuck people over for their own personal gain. To me Lou Bloom had a screwed up past that made him this way, no doubt about it, and i love that we don't know about it and he ends up succeeding. Karma will get him in the end. It always does.
This is true, and the history of humanity is of course rife with acts of greed, selfishness, and just plain inhumanity. The latest film I've watched, 12 Years a Slave, is certainly a piece of evidence towards this. Certainly not an easy film to stomach but it is an important one to remind/educate current and future generations of the horrors of the past, in hopes that history is not repeated. This film won't hold a place among my favorites by any means but among the competition (weak as it is) it surely is the 'Best' of its year and hopefully its many Best Picture wins (including Oscars) will give it exposure for years to come.